Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant Delays when recieving outside emails

Hi all.

The users at the organization have started to notice that they are recieving emails that have been significantly delayed of up to 8 hours from different senders on different servers. I have checked the RDNS, MX records, DNS, etc and havent been able to find a reason why some emails up to 8 hours after the originator sends them.

I used mxtoolbox.com to verify that all is well, not blacklisted, not a relay, can telnet to port 25.

I have also disabled the anti-spam filter and a/v.

Does anyone have any idea of why this may be happening?

Thanks,
    Bob

Re: Significant Delays when recieving outside emails

ok. Take a look at YOUR first mail server within your domain. Whether it's exchange, messagelabs, or whatever. THe FIRST device you can see which accepts mail for your domain.

Rview the logs. Have a look at the time your server is receiving the emails. Then correlate it to when the external organisations are sending it.
    If there's a discrepency BEFORE it hits your netwokr, well, it's kind of out of your control.

8 hours IWTHIN your network, then come back and give us the messagr trackin details and we might be able to help
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by phxsystech View Post
      Hi all.

The users at the organization have started to notice that they are recieving emails that have been significantly delayed of up to 8 hours from different senders on different servers. I have checked the RDNS, MX records, DNS, etc and havent been able to find a reason why some emails up to 8 hours after the originator sends them.

I used mxtoolbox.com to verify that all is well, not blacklisted, not a relay, can telnet to port 25.

I have also disabled the anti-spam filter and a/v.

Does anyone have any idea of why this may be happening?

Thanks,
      Bob
      I know you checked the Spam list, but 8 hours is alittle to much like a black list delay. Check some of the other spam lists, sometimes MXtoolbox does not update them all.

Other then that, we will just need to wait on the tracking message.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

Cheers.
        Thanks for your help.

Im confused about what logs you need. I see in the exchange logs that the majority of the messages (from beginning to end) in the smtp log look something like this (notice there is no error, or quit or goodbye sent - the message just stops):

MTP - - - -
        2010-10-25 17:06:54 68.142.206.151 web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com SMTPSVC1 FILESERVER 192.168.1.3 0 HELO - +web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com 250 0 46 32 46 SMTP - - - -
        2010-10-25 17:06:54 68.142.206.151 web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com SMTPSVC1 FILESERVER 192.168.1.3 0 MAIL - +FROM:<[email protected]> 250 0 49 36 0 SMTP - - - -
        2010-10-25 17:06:54 68.142.206.151 web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com SMTPSVC1 FILESERVER

By the way, these messages are the ones that arent being delivered for up to 4 hours.

Increments of abnormal delivery seem to be in increments of 4 hours as well.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bob

Comment

ok.

\THe frist server in your environment that receives email is the Microsoft Exchange server, am I correct?

Go into the System Manager console, and find "message tracking"
          Then, find one of the emails that your users are saying has been delayed.
          Look at what time it was received by your email server.
          The message tracking centre can then also tell you what time it was delivered to the user - so you can see if the delay is within your network or not.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by phxsystech View Post
            Cheers.
            Thanks for your help.

Im confused about what logs you need. I see in the exchange logs that the majority of the messages (from beginning to end) in the smtp log look something like this (notice there is no error, or quit or goodbye sent - the message just stops):

MTP - - - -
            2010-10-25 17:06:54 68.142.206.151 web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com SMTPSVC1 FILESERVER 192.168.1.3 0 HELO - +web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com 250 0 46 32 46 SMTP - - - -
            2010-10-25 17:06:54 68.142.206.151 web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com SMTPSVC1 FILESERVER 192.168.1.3 0 MAIL - +FROM:<[email protected]> 250 0 49 36 0 SMTP - - - -
            2010-10-25 17:06:54 68.142.206.151 web33502.mail.mud.yahoo.com SMTPSVC1 FILESERVER

By the way, these messages are the ones that arent being delivered for up to 4 hours.

Increments of abnormal delivery seem to be in increments of 4 hours as well.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bob
            when you say THESE messages identifed above aren't being delivered for 4 hours, does that mean the user doesn't see it in his/her mailbox until about 9:00pm for this example?

Or does it mean the person at yahoo.com sent te email at 1:00pm?

Comment

The best thing to look at is the message headers.
              That will show where a delay occurs. You have to view the message headers through Outlook, exactly where depends on the version.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thank you again for both the questions and response(s):
                TehCamel:
                Your question:
                "when you say THESE messages identifed above aren't being delivered for 4 hours, does that mean the user doesn't see it in his/her mailbox until about 9:00pm for this example??

Or does it mean the person at yahoo sent te email at 1:00pm?"

Answer:

Both, in the example provided, the sender sends the message at lets 12:00 PM, the message is then sent to my exchange server, not processed and then the attempt happens again and again until it is finally accepted. So, the item is sent, my server is contacted - message not recvd- and then the attempt is made again.

Below is a response to Sembee, It may help as well.

Looking at the message headers on at least one of the messages, there were three attempts to send,
                first was immediate
                second was a delay of ~59 minutes
                and finally, third was received by the domain

I did a mxtoolbox header analyzer and got basically the same information as above.

Also did a message track in Exchange 2003.

I would post the actual header but petri wont let me because it says I am only allowed to post URLS to other sites after you have made 5 posts or more.....

Comment

Can you post the actual header (obscure your domain if you want but not the others) - it normally shows the different servers the mail passes through, not attempts
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X