5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host

our organization is unable to send or receive large attachments. this was first noticed after an inbound message bounced with an NDR to the sender with the error message in the subject line above (5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host), the message had a 2MB attachment. i was successful in sending a 1MB file, but i am unable to send a message with a 2MB attachment. i changed the global limit settings (both inbound and outbound) in ESM first to 20MB and then to no limit according to these articles with seemingly no effect:
    http://www.petri.com/setting_size_li...r_messages.htm, and
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo...ps_011805.mspx
    and in following the first article i also checked for other limits - could not find any limits defined anywhere.

message tracking in exchange reveals that the outbound messages do not leave the mail system, the last two entries show SMTP messages
    - SMTP: Message Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery
    - SMTP: Non-Delivered Report (NDR) generated

the NDR is identical on both sides (our mail server and the remote mail server are both exchange)

system details:
    E2k3 enterprise (sp1 i believe)
    w2k3 standard

any help or guidance, as always, is greatly appreciated

Re: 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host

Have you stopped and started the SMTP service??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
      Have you stopped and started the SMTP service??
      no, this seems rather extreme. is there something specific that this will accomplish relative to the problem? thanx

Comment

Stopping the SMTP service will only stop mail flow it won't actually stop your exchange server from working. All your messages will be queued until normal service is resumed.

Have you also checked the options on the user account in ADUC??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
          Stopping the SMTP service will only stop mail flow it won't actually stop your exchange server from working. All your messages will be queued until normal service is resumed.

Have you also checked the options on the user account in ADUC??
          yes, i realize that, and yep, checked 'em.

the problem actually turned out to be in our spam filtering software. it had a message limit that somehow kicked in and GFI cannot tell us why it did so all of the sudden.

thanx for the replies

Comment

Good to see you resolved your problem

Comment

Working...
            X