Archiving Old Email Automatically

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archiving Old Email Automatically

dear all forum members,

please help me for my below question.

Q. i had moved 12 users eMail boxes to be saved in server's mail box, they are our top ranking managers & GMs, my question is " could it possible to automatically archived 3 months old eMails to another location or on PST?" bcos i don't want that my server to be loaded with huge e-mails data attachments.
    please help my by providing full details, how can i do this?. is there any command or rule to implement this policy?
    i'll be waiting for your answers.

Re: Help required for Microsoft Exchange server 2003

We have a dedicated Exchange 2003 forum so I am moving this post there.

Archiving to PST is generally not a good idea.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Archiving Old Email Automatically

Question title updated to be more descriptive.

There is no automatic archiving function within Exchange 2003. That is a new feature for Exchange 2010.
      There is an archiving function in Outlook, however it is generally considered to be a bad idea. If you value the email, or you work in a sector that requires email to be stored for extensive period of time, then you do not use PST files.

The break easily.
      They bloat (100mb of email in Exchange can be 300mb in a PST file)
      They are almost impossible to backup
      You cannot store them on a network share.

Storing the content in Exchange is the best option, it is efficient and easier to back up. Large stores are not an issue for Exchange unless you are running on standard edition with its 75gb limit.
      If you are, move to Exchange 2007 or 2010, which has unlimited database sizes and multiple database support on standard edition, and store the content there. Storage is cheap.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.