No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 Swing Migration Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 Swing Migration Issue

I have an old exchange server (Physical box) running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. I wanted to Virtualize the box so I created a new server (in VMWare) and started running through the Swing Migration ( process.

I have the new server installed, updated and run through each step. I removed my smart host and added the new server to the bridgehead on ESM.

I ran a quick test and moved my test user to the new system. He moved fine and I was able to access the account like nothing changed (It took a few hours for Outlook to auto switch to the new server). The test user can send email and receive email fine. (Since my router is set to only give incoming email to the 1st exchange server I assume they are linked correctly)

My issue is if I send an email (from the moved user) to another internal domain user (my main account) it always shows as Junk Mail.

My thought is that once I move everyone the issue will go away, but I don't like to hope and thought I would ask the community the direction I should start looking to fix the issue.

* The new server is still running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 *

Last edited by Hobie; 31st August 2010, 17:48.

Re: Exchange 2003 Swing Migration Issue

Have you checked the junk email settings in Outlook?
    Email can end up in that folder by one of two ways - SCL value assigned by Exchange, and Outlook itself. As inter-server traffic goes over SMTP, it is possible that Outlook doesn't know it is internal traffic, and therefore if you have flagged your internal domain as junk then it will be flagged as such.
    IMF shouldn't flag internal email as junk, unless you are routing inter-server traffic out through a smart host (which is unlikely to work reliably anyway).

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.