Upgrading Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

I am in the process of upgrading Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. I will be doing an in place upgrade. The question I have is What happens if the upgrade fails? Do I have to do an Authoritative restore of AD to delete the changes that Exchange 2003 performed during the Upgrade and then reinstall Exchange 2000 with the /disasterrecovery switch?

Thanks,

Shani

Re: Upgrading Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

The installation of the first Exchange 2003 in the forest will update your Schema and create new attributes. These updates cannot be reversed, unless you reinstall the entire AD from backup. Question is how many DCs you have, and if at all this will be required. I've never seen an installation of Exchange 2003 fail, and if you cover all aspects - backup the entire DB, entire AD and so on - there wouldn't be any problem.

Remember that if the Exchange 2003 installation should fail, it all depends on when it happened. If the AD upgrade was sucessful, then there should be no problem in running Exchange 2000 with that setup, therefore you probably wouldn't need to restore the entire AD.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I have 2 DC all running Windows 2003. Daniel as you said it all depends on when the upgrade fails. Are there any documents that cover both options of rolling back to Exchange 2000? What I mean to say is what if AD upgrade was not successful and I have to roll back to Exchange 2000 or AD upgrade was successful and I have to roll back to Exchange 2000. Thanks for your help.

Shani

Comment

If you wait after the FORESTPREP section and hold for replication, then you check that it has gone successfully, then you're safe. If not, you can always restore an authoritive restore of the AD from before the action (make sure you backup your systemstate on the first DC).
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Lets say forestprep was successful and Exchange 2003 upgrade fails. I can reinstall Exchange 2000 using the /disasterrecovery switch and restore the DB and I should be good. Correct?

Comment

Working...
          X