No announcement yet.

Tracked outbound email to archives

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracked outbound email to archives

Recently I noticed outbound emails (definitly spam when you see the addresses) been sent to "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" . They pop up about 20 times an hour when I track my messages with Exchange Message Tracking Center (see attachment).
    I think they're sent locally but I don't where they come from. I can't be sent from the outside because the recipient are @mydomain.local. On top of that I only allow the valid emailaddresses to be retrieved and "[email protected]" isn't one of the valid addresses obviously.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can backtrack these messages?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

Re: Tracked outbound email to archives

SMTP logs will show you whether there are connections being made to the server and sending email. That is the most likely place.

You probably have authenticated relaying enabled and an account has been compromised and a spammer is sending email out using those credentials.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Tracked outbound email to archives

Can I just say, that when you see that "Sembee" has replied to a post, it's almost certain that he has given the correct answer and it is just not worth us mere mortals even investigating further..

Give us a chance Simon!

Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!