No announcement yet.

Can not mount production mailstore in dev environment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not mount production mailstore in dev environment

We are getting ESE 455 and MSExchangeIS 9518 errors when trying to mount a mailstore from a production environment into our Dev environment (different domain entirely). Errors are listed further below.

We are trying to create a dev environment prior to migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. Our dev AD is a separate domain. However we copied our users and groups from our production environment and that is fine. We would like to test migrating mailboxes in the dev environment and see what issues we will run into (both errors for larger mailboxes as well as expansion due to changes in the new database layout). So we have tried to leverage our Netapp and mounted a snapshot (copy) of the production databases and transaction logs and copied them to the dev environment. Here is a list of the steps:

Steps we took:
    Create 2003 Exchange server that matches our production environment (separate DC was already in our Dev environment, matching our production DC).
    Create dev storage group with same name as production storage group. Use identical location path for transaction logs
    Create dev mail store with same name used in production environment, along with same path for .edb and .stm files
    Mount this new dev mail store, it mounts fine. Ok, time to dismount and move it elsewhere (we simply create a subfolder "native" below the target location and move files into it, both for the store and the transaction logs).
    Copy the production mail store to where we had the placeholder mailstore and transaction logs. Try to mount both with the transaction logs, as well as with only the E01.log and res1.log and res2.log files. We get the errors listed further below.

What am I missing or doing wrong? I am thinking the folder permissions must be ok if the first dev mailstore mounts fine, and I check that the folder and file permissions match on our imported database. Any suggestions? I can't be the first person trying this am I?

Thanks for your help!

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ESE
    Event Category: Logging/Recovery
    Event ID: 455
    Date: 7/23/2010
    Time: 9:29:55 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EXCH2003BE2-DEV
    Information Store (3404) Corporate: Error -1811 (0xfffff8ed) occurred while opening logfile C:\MP\translogs2\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Corporate\E01.log.
    For more information, click microsoft.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 9518
    Date: 7/23/2010
    Time: 9:29:55 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EXCH2003BE2-DEV
    Error Current log file missing starting Storage Group /DC=com/DC=My_Company/DC=dev/CN=Configuration/CN=Services/CN=Microsoft Exchange/CN=My_Company/CN=Administrative Groups/CN=First Administrative Group/CN=Servers/CN=EXCH2003BE2-DEV/CN=InformationStore/CN=Corporate on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    Storage Group - Initialization of Jet failed.
    For more information, click

Re: Can not mount production mailstore in dev environment

Exchange is very sensitive to the name of everything - Exchange org, domain name, server name, locations etc. For the database to mount without making significant changes, everything needs to be the same. Otherwise you have to do some extensive hacking around to get the database to be accepted.

There is no single KB article on the changes required, you have to work on a number of items. However if you look at how to create a recovery domain for public folders then you will find most information that you need.

The method I usually use though is via a VM.
    Build a new machine in a VM and add it to production domain. DCPROMO and make it a global catalog. Wait 24 hours.
    Shutdown this new VM and COPY it to the dev environment.
    Start the original copy and remove it in the usual way.
    On the copy - which should now be isolated, start the DC and go through the seize of the FSMO roles process.
    Then DR install Exchange.
    Voilą, one copy of the production domain, with no impact on the production network.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.