Incoming email not routing through...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming email not routing through...

I have just setup an Exchange 2003 server for the first time, and I am not able to get any incoming email. I can send from it, I can telnet to port 25 on the exchange server from an IP that is external to our network so I know the server is running and the firewall rules are functioning appropriately. I have put in host and MX records in the DNS as you can see in the following (I'm obviously using fake names and IP's but you should get the idea):

xyz.com MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = mail.xyz.com
    mail.xyz.com internet address = 68.144.xxx.xxx

==============================

There is a Host record for xyz.com and it is:

xyz.com 204.244.xxx.xxx

I do have a seperate SMTP server running at the 204.244.xxx.xxx address that is used for a different domain - xyznetworks.com and I'm wondering if that is where the emails are going? I don't get any NDR's or anything else back when I send an email to [email protected].

If I run the Portqry command on xyz.com - I get the following results:

portqry -n xyz.com -p tcp -e 25

Querying target system called:

xyz.com

Attempting to resolve name to IP address...

Name resolved to 204.244.xxx.xxx

TCP port 25 (smtp service): LISTENING

Data returned from port:
    220 xyznetworks.com ESMTP MDaemon 8.0.2; Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:08:33 -0600

If I run it against mail.xyz.com I get the following:

portqry -n mail.xyz.com -p tcp -e 25

Querying target system called:

mail.xyz.com

Attempting to resolve name to IP address...

Name resolved to 68.144.xxx.xxx

TCP port 25 (smtp service): LISTENING

Data returned from port:
    220 jazz.xyz.corp Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.1830 rea
    dy at Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:45 -0600

This is the Exchange server that I want all of the xyz.com email to be routed to (xyz.corp is our internal AD Domain and jazz is the name of the Exchange server). I can't shut down the xyznetworks.com SMTP server as it is used by our web application to send out status messages.

This is beyond anything that I've had to deal with in the past and is stumping me, so any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Mike.

Re: Incoming email not routing through...

Hi,

It seems like your Exchange box is not responsable for the xyz.com domain.
    If you sent a message to someone within the xyz.com domain the message should either arrive or you should get an NDR.

Since you did not get the NDR, as you stated, i suspect you might have to configure your exchange server to be responsable for the xyz.com domain.
    I hope this helps, if not be more specific about virtual Server settings, connector settings.

Michel
    MCSE 2000/2003

Comment

OK, I figured out that I turned off the Anonymous access in the access, authentication section of the SMTP virtual server and as soon as I turned it back on - I have incoming email. I was under the impression that I needed to do that to prevent it from being an open relay, but I guess not. Under the "Relay Restrictions" portion, I have stated that only xyz.corp be granted the relay rights - is that all I need to do to prevent the open relay situation?

Thanks for the help,
      Mike.

Comment

Google is your best friend!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...9ee1232f6.mspx

Comment

Working...
        X