Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to manage Outlook archive.pst folder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to manage Outlook archive.pst folder?

Hello all,

I am setting up our SBS 2003 server for the first time to Exchange email. I imported emails from PST's into users' inboxes and everything is great.

However, one user has 5000+ emails in his inbox which obviously needs archiving away. Looking into AutoArchive however, it seems to want to store the archive.pst file in the user's Local Settings - thereby meaning the messages will no longer be on the server and backed up - surely the whole reason of moving to Exchange?

We do not have the budget for a 3rd party solution. What do you suggest?

Kind Regards

Re: How to manage Outlook archive.pst folder?

Keep in mind that you shouldn't access PSTs over a network, so if you do end up using PSTs then they will need to be stored locally. But yes, I agree it's not ideal for the PST to be in a folder that isn't part of the roaming profile, if used.

You say that the emails "obviously" need archiving away... what is the reason for not wanting them in the user's mailbox?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yep i know. There is a KB article detailing how to use the OCT to change the AutoArchive path, but i soon realised it was pointless as i dont want PST's full stop!

Since im using Application Data redirection, i thought i may just include Local Settings in that - but then i remembered the original archive.pst (that i imported) was 2 - 3GB! I dont want to be transferring that over the network either.

Well, to be accurate, the user has 9,700 emails in his inbox and 9,400 in his sent. I cant imagine that is any good for performance? Initial send and receieve took agees, but seems much snapier now to be honest.

Is it really a case of live with it or buy an archive solution?

Comment

Unless it *is* causing performance issues, then I'd just leave it for now. Maybe encourage the user to sort mail into folders rather than leaving it all in the Inbox?

Local Settings are those settings which aren't appropriate to be replicated among different machines in case there are different application versions etc installed. Or at least, that's the intention. In practice it's best to treat it that way.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok thanks. Ill have a look at setting up some sort of backup of the client PC's and these PST's.

By the way, i would really appreciate it if you could look at my SSL thread if you have a second, im about to buy one and am really unsure of the correct server name to use!

Thanks again

Comment

IIRC Outlook prefers no more than 5000 emails per folder
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905803
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Move the items in to a sub folder.
              Once the emails are in a PST file, you may as well kiss them goodbye. Impossible to backup, and PST files get corrupt easily.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Dont know if this would work, but just a idea.

Split the mail in yearly/half yearly/quarterly archive.psts (whatever it takes to get the pst to a good size). Keep a copy of the PST's on the server, import each PST into a differnt mailbox, then attach them all in his outlook.

Its alittle complicated and converluted, but that way you still have all the mail on the server (even in the exchange server), you do not have to worry about breaking exchange due to a over loaded mail box, or the network with trying to pull GB's across it all the time.

We are slightly lazier and just attach them as archive, but keep a copy on the server as well as his local computer. If the local computer gets corrupted, we just replace it.

Wofen
                Good to be back....

Comment

Why make life complex with all those extra mailboxes when one mailbox is enough? A mailbox won't break if it has that many messages in it - all that has been suggested is to sort them into subfolders to keep the number in a folder below 5000.

Don't touch PSTs unless you've tried every other option and have absolutely no choice.

As for not worrying about network bandwidth, you do realise that all of those additional mailboxes won't be cached by Outlook, right?
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

As for not worrying about network bandwidth, you do realise that all of those additional mailboxes won't be cached by Outlook, right?
                    And only accessed when he actuly clicks on them :P

Why make life complex with all those extra mailboxes when one mailbox is enough? A mailbox won't break if it has that many messages in it - all that has been suggested is to sort them into subfolders to keep the number in a folder below 5000.
                    Sorry, I always thought that a MAILBOX was limited to 5000 messages, not a folder. Seems kinda strange that just putting them into folders resolves a corruption issue.

Wofen
                    Good to be back....

Comment

Not sure where the idea of a mailbox being limited to 5000 items comes from. There has never been a limit on the number of items in a mailbox with any of the Microsoft technologies.
                      The only recommendation is 5000 items in a single folder, although you can have more than that if you wish (and take the performance penalty).

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                      X