Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info before cleaning up my exchange 2003

Hello,

I am not in touch with Exchange that much now. I have some doubts before I go for my Exchange 2003 maintainance activity. I googled a lot so far but several articles confusing me. Some queries as follows :-

- Is it ok to delete old log files [ less than 6 months? ]
    -I want to take cold back up. Apart stopping Exchange services from services.msc do I need to perform any commands from cmd?
    -I read from some articles that online defrag of Exchange DB can be done. Is it a good option to keep exchange DB healthy? How to do that?
    -And last question is regarding log files + DB. How can I make sure that my cold DB back up + I will have exact set of log files which can restore my mail server if it crashes to till date when I took back up?

I have scheduled weekly backup but want to clean up my exchange. Lot of junk is their.

Regards,
    Amey.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: Need info before cleaning up my exchange 2003

You should not delete logs. Logs should automatically cycle themselves.

Exchane will automatically perform an online defrag if I'm correct. you should see event log messages daily saying it has done that, and freed up xyz space.

you make sure your backup is correct by either having a recovery server in a separate test environment you can recover to, or by planning regular test recoveries.

Part of our regular maintenance checklist involved restoring individual items from mailboxes, to test the validity of our backups..

How are you planning on taking the "cold" backup you speak of ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post

How are you planning on taking the "cold" backup you speak of ?
      By disconencting DB/dismounting DB i.e. by stopping all exchange related services from services.msc . To make sure no 1 is connected and DB is in offline mode.

Is their anything else need to do to make DB offline 100% for full/cold back up?

I have log files of year 2008, 2009 too thats why I am surprised what If I delete them or copy them on my backup server and delete them from exchaneg server as they already has occupied 8 gb space.
      All in 1

Comment

If you are backing up properly you should NOT have lots of old log files.

I suggest you check your backups are good before messing with anything
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I concur with ossian. your backups are not working correctly, or the transaction logs would have been truncated appropriately.

You can't backup just the data files, you also need the log files to be merged correctly.

Is there any reason you can't do an online backup ? We were doing this for over 12 months with no problems.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Their are few log files of year 2008,2009 not too much. But still their are. I guess its because we upgraded our mail server in last 2007 December 25~30. Is it so? We usually never touch log files folder. may be thats the reason its showing log files of year 2008~2009?
            All in 1

Comment

If you are backing up with a proper exchange aware backup app (and I include NTBackup here) it will truncate ALL committed log files up to the point of backup. You dont have "just a few" old ones, you either have none (expected) or everything.

I very strongly recommend that, before you do anything else, you check you do have good backups of Exchange and can restore them.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What kind of logs are we talking about?
                Exactly where are they? 8gb isn't exactly a lot, I can generate that in a couple of days with my home Exchange server, so I wonder if you are talking about message tracking logs, or protocol logs.

A cold backup of Exchange is close to useless. It isn't a valid backup and is out of date about 10 seconds after it has finished.

As for offline defrag - that is not something that is necessary for a healthy Exchange server and does not have to be done regularly. Microsoft do not recommend that it is used as part of database maintenance.
                Furthermore it is not risk free and requires an extended period of downtime - the process runs at between 1 and 4gb per hour, therefore if you have a 20gb store it could take 40 hours to complete. That is total downtime, and the process cannot be stopped midway through (well it can, but the database is useless so you would have to restore the copy).

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X