Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket PC with Forms-based authentication

Hi

I am trying to sync a Treo 650 to ExSrv 2003 with OWA. I am getting one of the classic error messages

"There was a problem syncing messages"
    (0006) http/1.1 500 Internal server error.

I have read Dan's article titled "Problems in syncing a Pocket PC with Exchange Server 2003 when using SSL and Forms-based Auth in OWA"

My question concerns work around #3 in this article. If I go thru this and create a seconday Virtual directory without SSL enabled won't I still have the issue with FBA? The reason I ask this is because it does not look like you can apply FBA to specific virtual directories on the web server. Unlike SSL, FBA looks like it is all or nothing.

Does this work around fix the problem by removing the security I want by virtue of using SSL and FBA? Does it also open up this new virtual directory to vulnerabilities from the Internet because of its lack of FBA logon and no SSL?

OWA is functioning normally and is avail via the internet with SSL.

Thank You and thanks for running this incredible site!

Don Stevenson
    Boston, Ma.

Re: Pocket PC with Forms-based authentication

You can still enable SSL on the new virtual directory, no problem here. It just allows you to use FBA while still being able to use ActiveSync.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Dan

Thanks for the reply. The article I referenced in my first post (similar to MS article ID 817379) explicitly tells you not to enable SSL on the newly created Virtual directory. I followed this article and got the pamlone Treo 650 working fine with Exchange 2003, but when I go in and enable SSL (secure channel) on the new VD the Treo stops syncing with the Exchange server.

We would prefer to use SSL for this operation, any tips?

DS

Comment

Hi

It would be great is someone could chime in on this. Here is an excerp from one of Dan's articles on this site in reference to ActiveSync problems with FBA and SSL.

Method #3 (easy and cheap)
        Create a secondary virtual directory for Exchange that does not require SSL, and then add a registry value to point to the new virtual directory. You must use Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager to create this virtual directory for Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access to work. If you are using Windows Server 2003, follow these instructions:

So I have done this as written and OMA/ActiveSync works with our Treo 650 handhelds. How about the security part? With no SSL I cannot believe this is very safe.

So is this a dangerous work around to this problem?

DS

Comment

As far as I recall, there should be no problem in SSLing this virtual directory. Did you try?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes, and it breaks Treo 650 access imediately.

DS

Comment

Well, as much as I would like to help I don't have acess to a Tre 650 right now, so I guess there's not much I can do for you. Sorry.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X