Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipient address rejected: Access denied

Hi All,

I have been facing this problem since last 15 days. I was able to send out the mails from my exchange 2003 server to all the domains but since last 15 days I am not able to send out the mail to one single domain, but I am able to recevie from the same domain.

Whenever I send a mail to a particular ID in that domain it gives a following NDR:

xxx@domain.com
    A communication failure occurred during the delivery of this message. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please try resending this message later, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: myserver.mydomain.com

xxx@domain.com
    #< #5.5.0 smtp;554 <xxx@domain.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied> #SMTP#

Also, I checked everything related to our smtp server, the DNS name, the reverse lookup, the SPF records, everythings seems to be fine.

Can you guys suggest what could be the problem...

Re: Recipient address rejected: Access denied

Seems as if the problem is at the other end, so pass it on to their administrator
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Seems as if the problem is at the other end, so pass it on to their administrator
      I did that, but the strange part is that when i send the mail through some other smtp server which is a open source linux server without any authentication the mail reaches them. But through my Exchange Server it is not reaching. Even I did a mail tracking and the last step before generating a NDR says that :
      SMTP: Started Outbound Transfer of Message
      SMTP: NDR Generated

Any clue where could be the problem?

Comment

To troubleshoot problems of this type, I would telnet to your mail server and send from there, once you get the results, you can then send these remotely with confidence that it is not your problem!

follow these commands if you haven't done it before;

telnet mailserver.mydomain.com 25
        helo
        mail from: <[email protected]>

rcpt to: [email protected]

data

subject: Put something meaningful that will not blocked by spam filters

leave a blank space here

type some stuff here that again wont get blocked by a spam filter

type a "." to end the message

quit

I am sure this will be somewhere else on Petri in a more understandable format than mine, but give it a go!

Ste
        Steven Roberts
        IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Ste View Post
          To troubleshoot problems of this type, I would telnet to your mail server and send from there, once you get the results, you can then send these remotely with confidence that it is not your problem!

follow these commands if you haven't done it before;

telnet mailserver.mydomain.com 25
          helo
          mail from: <[email protected]>

rcpt to: [email protected]

data

subject: Put something meaningful that will not blocked by spam filters

leave a blank space here

type some stuff here that again wont get blocked by a spam filter

type a "." to end the message

quit

I am sure this will be somewhere else on Petri in a more understandable format than mine, but give it a go!

Ste
          Did that and after giving the rcpt to: [email protected], i get a error as:

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email protected]

Comment

Soo, if you run the exact same test on the same server to a different domain, the mail sends fine?

Can you create a new send connector with a smarthost on just for the troublesome domain and see if it goes then? My guess is that it will.

It may be an issue with DNS...
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Ste View Post
              Soo, if you run the exact same test on the same server to a different domain, the mail sends fine?

Can you create a new send connector with a smarthost on just for the troublesome domain and see if it goes then? My guess is that it will.

It may be an issue with DNS...

Can you guide me on creating a send connector for that particular domain.. thanks in advance

Comment

No problem.

Firstly you will need a smarthost to relay through. I always choose the ISP one (as long as it is not BT), so just go to www.ipchicken.com, look at the ISP, and then do a search for the SMTP server that your ISP has, more often than not this does not require authentication.

Once you have this, just create a new connector.

Look at the connector you have and give it a lower priority, lets say 2.

Now just create a connector as you have previously, right click new smtp connector and create it. In the address space however you just need to identify the troublesome domain and not the default *.

Give it a priority of 1.

Right click the connector once created and change from the standard DNS to smarthost, and then specify the smtp server we identified above.

All email to the troublesome domain will njow travel over the new connector.

Ste
                Steven Roberts
                IT Mercenary

Comment

Working...
                X