Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to move Exch/DC to new Hardware?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to move Exch/DC to new Hardware?

We are buying a new server to use for our Exchange and secondary Domain Controller. The current machine is configured as the Exchange server with OWA and all of the storage as well as being the secondary DC & WINs server.

I am looking for suggestions as to how to move everything without adding the new machine with a new name and all of the associated stuff. What I am after is move all of the configuration, storage & functionality of the old machine to the new one without decommissioning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Best way to move Exch/DC to new Hardware?

I know you said you didnt want another name but i would build the new server as a second DC and exchange, move FMSO roles, DNS, DHCP, mailboxes etc... and then remove exchnage from the other machine and demote.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,
      As you stated you do not want to decommission.
      You said your curent server is secondary, so it is not a single box enviroment.
      If this where the case you could simply restore from backup to the new machine, shut down the old box and see what happens.

Now you have to make sure the new server will be recognized bye the existing first domain controller.

Maybe this is an idea:

Backup your old Server (Offline Mailstore, Logs, System State, Full Backup)
      Treat your pdc the same way just to be safe.
      Install the new Server with Same Windows Version, Patch Level an install Backup Software.
      Now pretend your Secondary domain controller explodes.
      In other words pull the network cabel(s)

Now restore the Controller on the new machine with the different hardware.
      We haven a test enviroment, it took me some time but i managed to make it work.(without exchange)

you can visit Microsoft for directions on disaster recovery at:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263532

Hope this helps you!
      Please tell us what you think,...achieve!
      Last edited by MCSE3737; 22nd September 2005, 12:15.

Comment

Hi

If you look thru "Best Practices" for Exchange 2003" they tell you to never have exchange 2003 on a DC. It is always better on a dedicated server. If you do this, it will work but it is bad network design and will make network management much more diffucult down the pike. If you decide to d this make sure you have a second AD/DC.

DS

Comment

Not to harp on this but I also see you want to put all your other network infrastructure controls on this same server (like DC DHCP and DNS). Don't do it. If you want a good design that will make mgmt easier get two cheap computers that have hardware raid controllers (serial ATA is ok), I used Dell PowerEdge 750s. Make these two boxes your "network infrastructure controllers". These will be the DC, DNS, DHCP, WINS, print servers etc. Having two will give you fault tolerence. Don't put any other enduser apps on them.

Comment

Hi,

You are right!
            But this is not relevant to this question, as the question was:

What I am after is move all of the configuration, storage & functionality of the old machine to the new one without decommissioning.

Greetz
            Michel
            MCSE2000/2003

Comment

Working...
            X