Mails being blocked from some domains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mails being blocked from some domains

Since last Friday, some domains are blocking our emails. The message being returned in the NDR is

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:
    Sent: 30/06/2010 12:47

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

[email protected] on 30/06/2010 12:47
    The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
    <mail.server.com #5.2.0 smtp;552 5.2.0 cBXe1e03111Ed6W01BXhny Abusive content detected in your email>

I can't find anyone blacklisting us.. It's happening with some domains - mainly free accounts like eircom.net, occasional hotmail (but not all) etc. There have been a couple of actual company domains stopping us too. Any idea what could be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Mails being blocked from some domains

Looks like whatever your sending contains abusive email according to the recipients email server or filter server.

What are you sending???

Comment

some organisations may refuse email from you if it contains swear words or such.

It's hard to know exactly what their filters are looking for.
      Have you spoken to the administrators, or "abuse" contacts at these domains to try and evaluatre the situation ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi folks, thanks for the response. No, there is nothing at all abusive in the emails. I've sent them blank just to test, same response. I turned off the signature that is automatically added at firewall level just in case the repetition was flagging us as spam, but no joy there. I've checked our IP on blacklists and we don't seem to be flagged. I'm way past the end of my tether on this one I'm just not convinced it's right at all, I'm very much feeling my way through this, so I'm not sure what settings affect what things, and every time I make a change, I seem to make it worse Now our phones won't send via SMTP either

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          Have you spoken to the administrators, or "abuse" contacts at these domains to try and evaluatre the situation ?
          10 print Post3
          20 goto 10
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sorry, yes.. I've contacted the domain in question, the can't (or won't) see why we're blacklisted, we're not expressly listed. I've contacted other, larger domains via email and received no response. (possibly because they didn't get my email.. .kidding.. )

Comment

Are you sending via Smart Host? If not you may have to try that to get things rolling again.

It's not uncommon for some email domains (Hotmail being a prime example) to seemingly randomly block domains and then unblock them again later, but it is strange to have so many at once. Usually relaying through your ISP's smart host can get around these issues.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Issue no. 1 resolved...

I turned off the firewall checking and disclaimer adding at firewall level, turned off the antivirus on my machine to stop the addition of the 'checked' message, turned outlook to plain text and removed my signature. Mail got through! I turned back on the signature, it got through, turned back on antivirus, it got through, turned back on the disclaimer - it stopped again. Turned off disclaimer and on html, it got through. Edited the disclaimer to remove this paragraph - While we take reasonable safeguards to protect our computer network against viruses, we do not accept any liability for contamination or damage to your systems from viruses attached to email received from us and we recommend that you scan all emails and attachments. The views expressed in this email may not necessarily be the views held by Company Name. - it got through. I thought I'd turned the disclaimer off before, but it turns out I had disabled the wrong one on the firewall

Now to fix all the stuff I broke trying to fix this since LAST FRIDAY!!!

Thanks again, folks.

Comment

Well done -- probably the word "virus" then?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Probably!! I can't believe they stop the word viruses.. how do doctors email each other?

Also, secondary iphone not sending issue resolved - our firewall was stopping our own emails as spam, it wasn't the changes I made.. phew!

Comment

This is the same case happened to me, but it was blacklisted at that time. may be if you are using any firewall, you can put your email id on whitelist & test.

Regards,

Vijender Negi

Comment

Working...
                      X