• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server Receiving Problem

Houston, I have a problem.

Windows 2003 Server, SP1 - DC

Windows 2003 Server (no SP1) - Exchange 2003 Server

In the last 11 days, email coming into the server has been returned to the point of origin. This has not been constant as some emails do get delivered but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to the ones that do get delivered. There are no errors in any of the Event logs. The following is all I get.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Fred Bloggs on 11/09/2005 10:56 AM
    Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator.
    <mail.myplace.com #4.4.7>
    #4.4.7 is "Problem with a timeout. Check receiving server connectors." This has not been a problem until 11 days ago. Can anyone suggest a setting that needs to be modified as am all Googled out.
    Last edited by biggles77; 16th September 2005, 01:04. Reason: Change Post Title - Didn't seem to work. :(
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Exchange Server Receiving Problem

Are the messages actually reaching the exchange server and being rejected or are the connections being dropped at the firewall?

Your ISP my have lowered the MTU on their routers try setting yours to 1492

Comment

Connections are not being dropped by the firewall. Some reach the server and are delivered. Some seem to have the connection time out. I just don't know where the timeout happens.
      The ISP changing the MTU is highly unlikely but I will investigate it anyway. Who knows it may have happened. Thanks for the idea.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

maybe a stupid idea...

isn't just the cable rotten, or any switch/router?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Nothing is stupid. Will test ALL the bloody cables. Router and switch have been power cycled several times.

No errors in the logs and some mail is getting through. Might be time to use a sledgehammer. Now how do you spell "format"?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The problem had to be simple and it was. While trying to tighten security on the network, some idiot applied a bit too much security to a mail required port. The confusing part was some emails were getting through and some weren't.

Thank you to all who took the time to read my post and especially those who provided some suggestions. It was appreciated.

/me Strides off to find the idiot to pummel.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X