Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing "250 Server Banner"

Hi There,

Just wondering whether someone can shed some light towards changing the “250 Server Banner” on an Exchange 2003 ENT Edition. I managed to amend the 220 banner through adminsctips but not fortunate with 250 banner.

telnet 127.0.0.1 25
    220 Exchange banner here
    EHLO example.com
    250 Server name

Many Thanks,
    Regards,
    AJ.

Re: Changing "250 Server Banner"

Changed the 36935 FullyQualifiedDomainName string through IIS Metabase Explorer and reflected the correct 250 Banner when doing a test (on a test system). Have you seen any issues doing so?

Cheers,
    AJ

Comment

Why are you looking to change this?

Shaun

Comment

Hello Shaun,

Thanks very much at least for questioning.

If I cut a long story short, we’re in the process of email encryption through a hosted service between my organisation and few other government email domains using a SSL cert. The internal FQDN has been matched with an external registered domain which is not owned by us. Hence, we cannot get the certificate request authenticated for security check-ups; as an example mailserver01.internal.com and there is a real domain called internal.com out there. Now the certificate has been registered and created under our domain name i.e. mydomain.com.
        When the hosted service for our email encryption checks the mail server against the issued certificate, obviously it doesn’t match. It checks SMTP 220 and 250 banners. 220 has been changed successfully and passes the test. Now the issue is with the 250 banner. I tried changing 250 banner on a test system as I have mentioned on my last post and email still works on it.
        My question was, would this (250 banner edit through matabase explorer) cause any issues in Exchange or any underlying components.
        Cheers mate,
        Regards,
        AJ

Comment

AJ,

Sounds like a very odd set of circumstances, and a rather strage test of authenticity. However, I understand what you are saying.

I can't see any technical reasons why this would cause a problem, connecting servers don't really care how you present yourself, they just want to offload the SMTP mail. It would have more of a consequence if you alter the outbound EHLO greeting (220 for Exchange 2003) because it is important this matches the rDNS for your public IP.

Shaun

Comment

Thanks Shaun,
            I do appreciate your response.
            Regards,
            AJ.

Comment

Your welcome

Comment

Working...