Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to configure Exchange 2003 SMTP protocole or connector to send mails to internet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure Exchange 2003 SMTP protocole or connector to send mails to internet?

Hi!

I want to configure my Exchange 2003 smtp protocol to send mails to internet accounts like hotmail or yahoo. I install my exchange 2003 on windows 2003 domain controller with the DNS configured in it. I have a company public domain name also registered on the internet. Now I want to configure outlook 2003 or express clients to send emails to use my exchange 2003 smtp protocol. It will be great if someone sort out this problem of mine.

Re: How to configure Exchange 2003 SMTP protocole or connector to send mails to inter

Can you help us a little bit by posting the error message you get from hotmail?

Almost certainly either your IP is blacklisted or there is some inconsistency between the reported name and the name you actually send from -- check this forum for other posts on a similar theme
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: How to configure Exchange 2003 SMTP protocole or connector to send mails to inter

Checked the website? http://www.petri.com/exchange.htm
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks OSSIAN, There shows no error message in the outlook 2003. when I press send button it sends the message from the outbox and shows it empty. but when I go and check my test hotmail or yahoo I found there nothing. I don't know where it goes?

Comment

Can you send successfully to emails within the organization? Can you send to ANY external email address?

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            Can you send successfully to emails within the organization? Can you send to ANY external email address?
            Thanks Wired, Yes I can send emails within the Organization successfully. But can't to external email addresses, If you mean Hotmail, yahoo..

Comment

Not just hotmail / yahoo -- I presume you send commercial emails to organisations with real domain names?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Yes OSSIAN, your right I want to send a mix of all type of internet emails wheather it is webmail like hotmail and yahoo or commercial email to organizations with real domain names, like I check to send an email to my own company with real domain name " [email protected]".. but fails to receive

Comment

Sending to your own company is problematic as it should be routed internally. What about other companies?

Have you set up MX records for your domain?
                  Have you setup mycompany.com addresses in Exchange?

How much exchange experience do you have?
                  Have you considered hiring a consultant to get you sorted out?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Thanks OSSIAN, My company IntrAnet domain name " mycompany.local "is different from my company IntErnet domain name " mycompany.com ". So I think to send a test email to my compyany IntErnet add should not be problematic.
                    second you ask me " Have you setup mycompany.com addresses in Exchange? " where should I have to configure these ? I configured the smtp protocol and the connector only for the outbound mail via " internet Mail Wizard " of Exchange server.

Comment

First of all you really should think about hiring a experienced consultant, he will probably setup your Exchange within a1/2 day or give you at least the needed advice what else to do.

For your questions:
                      Since you want to send outside you have to configure a real SMTP address for your users since no one will recognize your mycompany.local and most likely reject to receive anything from you.

Depending on your companies network structure and other used mail systems you might be able to use mycompany.com for you as well.
                      If you want to, you have to setup another recipient policy with something like @mycompany.com and set that your Exchange isn't the only one using this address space.
                      If you are able to reach the mail system(-s) from your company internally you have to setup another SMTP connector with this address space @mycompany.com and point it to the other mail system.

If you are not responsible for the address space mycompany.com and the matched MX record you probably have to use the SMTP server as a relay which is responsible for this address space.

This are just some thoughts, but your real setup is dependent on your network structure, the used mail systems and who is responsible for the offical internet address.

Comment

Dear FischFra, Thanks for the reply.. I create a new receipient policy for " mycompany.com " and tried to send mail to this real address but fails to send but why the local user within my exchange intranet domain are sending and receiving mails successfully....

Comment

Do you have your MX records correctly set up for your mycompany.com domain?
                          Is your router forwarding port 25 to the Exchange server?
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Thanks yes a cofigure a MX record in the DNS also.

Comment

Which DNS -- public or Active directory?
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X