Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Configuration for Exchange

Hi Friends,

We have one windows SBS 2003 server SP2 with the domain "domain1.local". In that server, we have an exchange, DNS, Website and other roles installed.

Now, we planned to change the environment. Hence, i have installed the new windows 2003 R2 server and installed the Active Directory with DNS with the new domain called "domain2.local" in it. Now, we decided that the new server with the domain called "domain2.local" will have an AD and DNS and the old server called "domain1.local" will have the DNS in it. Here i need your help..

I am stuck with the DNS Configuration. I want all the users to change there workstation's domain to the new domain "domain2.local" and use there exchange email from the old server "domain1.local". However, i know that i have to configure some DNS settings in the new server so that when the users try to access the exchange through outlook it would redirect.. However i am confused what to..

Please help to configure the DNS in the new server to access the exchange which is in another server..

Need Help ASAP.

Regards,

Vicky

Re: DNS Configuration for Exchange

So, to clarify this:
    Do you have two separate active directory domains -- one SBS and the other normal Server 2003?
    Or do you have two servers (one SBS) in the same domain?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I have to different server with two different domain:
      1st: domain1.local
      2nd: domain2.local

Comment

OK, as long as each user has an account on the old domain AND the new one, you should configure outlook to point to the old server (lets say its called SBS) and log on with the credentials:
        domain1\username and their password for the old domain.

but IMHO you have a very messy setup -- you should only use one domain, so either retire the SBS and install full Exchange or keep the SBS and add the new server to domain1 as an additional domain controller
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Dear,

So you mean to say that let all the users to login to there machines using New domain "domain2.local" and login to the exchange via outlook using old server "mail.domain1.local". so, you mean to say that i will not have to configure anything on the DNS part.. everything would remains the same ?

If yes, than how about the exchange integrating with AD.. I mean, if i create a new user in AD and wanted to associate with the new exchange mailbox, than the AD account will propagate its Email id in the AD properties and also email Addresses tab will have the AD smtp email as the old exchange..

What i could do for this ?

I know that this is kind of messy setup. But later we are going to remove the old server and the exchange both and we will be using plesk.

Awaiting Reply,

Regards,

Vicky

Comment

If you want to stay with your current setup you have to create the new user in both AD so that they are like the old ones.

I never worked with SBS so I have no idea if you can create a 2-way trust between your ADs. If so, you might be able to use your old SBS AD domain like an Exchange forest.

I would also configure DNS replication between the two domain controllers so that they each have the zones from the other domain as secondary or you can try to setup contional forwarding.

Comment

No trusts in SBS
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X