No announcement yet.

Exclude OU from default recipient policy?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exclude OU from default recipient policy?

Hey all

First post here so go easy one me Did a search and couldn't find the answer so here i go.

I just have taken over the administration of an exchange 2003 box and trying to exclude a OU from getting the default recipient policy.

The default policy is set to this (mailnickname=*)

Now to me that is a easy way to do this but now we have taken on a business unit that cant have the default policy but requires only for security reasons.

Now can this be a simple update to exclude their OU from the default policy.

any ideas would be great

I know i can do the untick “Automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy” but there are over 500 users and they are consistently updated so this would be a nightmare

Last edited by Grasshoper; 1st June 2010, 06:59.

Re: Exclude OU from default recipient policy?

The Default Policy can't be excluded since it's their function to act as the last instance if no other policy tags the user before.

But this is also the way to go: You have to configure a new policy which tags the user and provide the right domain information.

Every new policy will have a higher priority then the default policy, so if another policy has alreday taged the users the default policy will not affect this users. As far as I remember me you will not be able to filter users using the OU, so you have to set another attribute like company or an extension attribute.

To remove the not wanted address you can use a tool like for instance.

Re: Exclude OU from default recipient policy?

OUs are not a filter object for Exchange.
      Furthermore, all users need to have an email address in the default domain (usually the same domain as your WINDOWS domain) for Exchange to work correctly.

Therefore the usual advice is to have multiple policies, and the default policy is the last in the line and is applied to all objects that fall outside of the scope of the other policies - that can include system objects, public folders etc.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.