Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect exchange 2003 to external domain

Sir,
    I learnt alot from petri.co.il but this time i need some help regarding the exchange server. I have windows 2003 and exchange 2003 working fine internally. I want to connect my internal mail server to external domain. My internal domain setting are:
    Lan ip
    ip 10.10.1.100
    gateway 10.10.1.1
    dns 10.10.1.1

Domain name - western.com
    FQDN - wd.western.com

I acces my internal mail by typing [wd.western.com] into the browser.

My ISP is using Nat on their end
    I access my internet by this ip : 192.168.1.100 , Gateway :192.168.1.1, Dns : 192.168.1.1 Provided by DHCP

As i lookup my IP from whatismyip.com it tells my ip is : 201.115.84.111

I purchased a domain name WESTERNDIGITAL.COM and found MX AND A RECORDS fields in the control panel but i dont no how configure it.

Please Help me

Last edited by virgin; 30th May 2010, 21:47.

Re: Connect exchange 2003 to external domain

Are those the real domains you think you bought or just placeholders? One goes to google and the other belongs to a hard drive manufacturer.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
      Are those the real domains you think you bought or just placeholders? One goes to google and the other belongs to a hard drive manufacturer.
      Ok here is the scenario
      1. I Registerd the domain that is www.exchange-delhi.co.cc. I want to connect this domain to my Internal Exchange server if any one send the mail to [email protected] the mail will be transfer to my internal exchange server. I know this can be done by configuring MX AND A records in the control panel of www.exchange-delhi.co.cc. But i dont know where to start.

2. My internal Exchange server is connected to Lan 1 Private ip that is:
      Ip - 192.168.1.1
      Gatewat - 192.168.1.1
      Dns - 192.168.1.1

My internal domain is western.int
      FQDN - mail.western.int

I have setup forward lookup zone and reverse lookup zones in the dns at my side to resolve the FQDN Name.

I have a internet access on Lan 2 in the same server. [nat enabled ].

Guide me !
      Last edited by Wired; 31st May 2010, 08:46. Reason: nuked link to registrar

Comment

Do you have a static IP address for your internet connection?
        If so, in your DNS control panel (on the hosting site) create a DNS A record "mail. yourdomain. com" and put in the static IP address and then set the mx record to "mail. yourdomain. com"

Also remember to set up the correct port forwarding on your router -- port 25 for SMTP and port 443 for OWA and RPC/HTTP if you want them.

If you cannot get a static IP addres, look into DynDNS or similar services.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Do you have a static IP address for your internet connection?
          If so, in your DNS control panel (on the hosting site) create a DNS A record "mail. yourdomain. com" and put in the static IP address and then set the mx record to "mail. yourdomain. com"

Also remember to set up the correct port forwarding on your router -- port 25 for SMTP and port 443 for OWA and RPC/HTTP if you want them.

If you cannot get a static IP addres, look into DynDNS or similar services.

Thanks Ossian
          I understand how to configure mx and a records in the cp from u .I dont have Static ip i went to dyndns and i configured it here is the screenshot just take a look and do let me know if i filled anything wrong.

Now do i have to make A records point to the appex.dnsdojo.com and mx record to the mail.western.int [internal mail server]. ?
          Last edited by virgin; 31st May 2010, 09:02.

Comment

The internet knows nothing about your internal domain, so putting it in the external facing DNS records is a waste of time.

MX records are simply a host name. Therefore as long as you have a valid host name pointing to your server, then that is what you use as an MX record.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
              The internet knows nothing about your internal domain, so putting it in the external facing DNS records is a waste of time.

MX records are simply a host name. Therefore as long as you have a valid host name pointing to your server, then that is what you use as an MX record.

Simon.
              Simon here is the topology

Now The exchange server has 2 Lan cards One is connected to Local network for local users to access exchange server and Other is connected to Linksys Wireless router as shown in the figure. The two lan card with diffrent network how do i connect both lan card so my exchange also connect to the internet. I setup MX Record and A record into the cp of ISP Domain

mx isp.com 1 mail.localdomain.com
              A mail.localdomain 210.34.23.34
              Last edited by virgin; 1st June 2010, 15:17.

Comment

Dual homing Exchange is not a good idea and is not recommended.
                Seems a very complex configuration. A flat network with the router configured as the default gateway for everything is the recommended method. I never dual home Exchange.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                  Dual homing Exchange is not a good idea and is not recommended.
                  Seems a very complex configuration. A flat network with the router configured as the default gateway for everything is the recommended method. I never dual home Exchange.

Simon.
                  Yes it is very complex configuration. Sembee my exchange server is connected to 2 LAN. One is for internal purpose and Second is connected to internet via wireless router. Can i send and receive mails from/to outbound ? Some one told me this can be possible by completing the Mail wizard in exchange manager.

As i have a NAT Server the external network does nt know my internal network so i think there is no chance to flow the mails from outside to the exchange server bcoz NAT is situated on ISP side and he doest not allow me to forward the ports but is it possible to send the mails from exchange server to anyone outside the organisation ?.
                  Last edited by virgin; 2nd June 2010, 07:55.

Comment

Yes, it could be possible to send mails outside using your Exchange server, but most likely some of this mails will be refused by common anti-spam solutions unless your ISP is providing a SMTP relay.

You have to configure a new second Virtual SMTP server on the Exchange server using the outside connected IP and use this new one when creating a SMTP connector as the bridgehead.

But as Sembee already stated Exchange 2003 is very sensible when dual homing.

Comment

I have made a virtual SMTP connector points to the private ip which it gets from Router BY DHCP. i m able to telnet smtp.gmail.com 25 but when i try to send the mail from exchange server i receive this error.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:
                      Sent: 6/2/2010 3:06 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 6/2/2010 3:12 PM
                      There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
                      <mcse.samsung.com #5.5.0 smtp;550-5.7.1 [203.115.84.102] The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized to>
                      Last edited by virgin; 2nd June 2010, 12:02.

Comment

Yes, a expected result and what I mean with: "...be refused by common anti-spam solutions unless your ISP is providing a SMTP relay".

If you want to use your Exchange server for sending and receiving mails there are several requirements regarding to the network configuration.
                        Last edited by FischFra; 2nd June 2010, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
                          Yes, a expected result and what I mean with: "...be refused by common anti-spam solutions unless your ISP is providing a SMTP relay".

If you want to use your Exchange server for sending and receiving mails there are several requirements regarding to the network configuration.
                          HMmm....Fischfra. what do i need to ask from the ISP ? Is This problem occurs due to SMTP Relay or by the ISP is not forwards the port to My private ip.?

Thanks Fischfra
                          Last edited by virgin; 2nd June 2010, 16:20.

Comment

It's a problem with sending mails and Spam or better Anti-Spam solutions. Some of them doing a reverse DNS check which means that the name you are using in the connection have to have a PTR record which matches the IP address and the name of the connection. For instance if you are using "exchange.somedomain.net" and the IP address 1.2.3.4 a "ping -a 1.2.3.4" should return exchange.somedomain.net.

Or they are refering to your mx record, which means that only IP addresses included in your mx record are allowed to deliver mails.

What does this mean in practice, there are 2 options:
                            1. You want to deliver your mails directly while using Exchange.
                            • You need a static IP address and a registered domain with the appropriate DNS entries (A, PTR and MX).
                            • It can work with DHCP and DynDNS but it's more complicated.

2. Your ISP hosts your domain and provides you with a correct configured SMTP relay
                            • You use the SMTP relay from your ISP as a smarthost and all outgoing mail is send through this smarthost.

For handling incoming mail there are similar choices to do.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
                              It's a problem with sending mails and Spam or better Anti-Spam solutions. Some of them doing a reverse DNS check which means that the name you are using in the connection have to have a PTR record which matches the IP address and the name of the connection. For instance if you are using "exchange.somedomain.net" and the IP address 1.2.3.4 a "ping -a 1.2.3.4" should return exchange.somedomain.net.

Or they are refering to your mx record, which means that only IP addresses included in your mx record are allowed to deliver mails.

What does this mean in practice, there are 2 options:
                              1. You want to deliver your mails directly while using Exchange.
                              • You need a static IP address and a registered domain with the appropriate DNS entries (A, PTR and MX).
                              • It can work with DHCP and DynDNS but it's more complicated.

2. Your ISP hosts your domain and provides you with a correct configured SMTP relay
                              • You use the SMTP relay from your ISP as a smarthost and all outgoing mail is send through this smarthost.

For handling incoming mail there are similar choices to do.
                              Which ISP you are talking about ? The one who hosts the Domains or the one Who provides the internet connection ? I was talking about the ISP who provides me the internet connection. His static IP is 203.115.84.102.

Comment

Working...
                              X