Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

Hi,

I have a exchange server 2003 with a domain which working well and no problem at all..

today I added the UPN Suffiex of a new domain on that server. after that I done some testing. it can reach to gmail/hotmail. but when I reply email from gmail/hotmail getting the 550 5.7.1 unable to relay for [email protected]. so outgoing work fine but incoming is the issue.

there was no problem with existing previous domain.

the errors are same from both of gmail and hotmail.

from gmail
    Delivery failed after 1 attempts within 0 minutes
    Status: 0.0.0 (Unknown class - no additional status information available)
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email protected]

from hotmail
    Delivery failed after 1 attempts within 0 minutes
    550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email protected]
    No recipients were successfully delivered to.

how can i solve that relay problem? pls kindly explain me. thanks.
    Last edited by examplez; 26th May 2010, 07:28.

Re: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

If it is only gm/hm, it is something their servers dont like
    Are you routing direct or via an ISPs smart host?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am routing directly. and I have my own dns server in my office as well.

I have edited the first post.

thanks

Comment

Reading your original post properly I see it is to do with the additional domain

As a guess, they are objecting to an email from [email protected] coming from a server named mail.olddomain.com
        It may be worth investigating how gm/hm verify emails to block spam

Sorry if this isnt very helpful, just trying to think around the problem a bit
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

UPN?
          The UPN has nothing to do with Exchange. No connection to the email address at all. Where did you get the idea that was what you needed to do? The UPN may match your email addresses, but that would be a coincidence or a design decision to match email addresses - it has nothing to do with the configuration of Exchange.

For Exchange to accept email the domain must be listed in Recipient Policy. That is what tells Exchange what domains it is responsible for.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi Sembee,
            thanks for your help. I will create the new policy and check it out. btw, is there any other more setting do I need to check in the exchange server?

Comment

One most common error for the 550 (esp if its a new domain)

Its that the SMTP relay your relaying through, hasnt been enabled for the new domain.

The error will show its your server to blame as well.

Best way to check is to turn SMTP logging on in exchange. Follow the event logs and youll see wheres its being rejected properly.

But first, check with your SMTP provider (what ever is in your SMTP connector) that your allowed to relay with that domain.

If its Direct - Useing DNS - change this to your ISP SMTP relay (ie, if your useing BT as isp, use mail.btconnect.com) - but again, youll need to ring BT to register your domains for relaying, this applies to all ISPS server.

If its incoming, have you set up the mail mx records on the domain to go to your exchange mail server? (public ip) And set up the receipment policys in exchange to reflect the extra domain?
              Last edited by Shadow2k; 28th May 2010, 11:07.
              Shadow2k - MCP, MCSA, MCSA:Security, MCSE, MCSE:Security, MCTSx8, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCITP:EDA, MCITP:VA, MCITP:EDST

Comment

Working...
              X