Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Exchange Servers on a single domain

Hi Guys.

I need a bit of assitance and also need to know if it is possible. I knw the first answer i am going to get is that anything is possible. :P

I have three sites all running on Win2K and running active directory across all of them. I want to know if installing a 2003 server as a member server on the netowkr and being able to run an exchange server in each office, but all basically one exchange.

Please let me know if i am not making sense.

Re: Multiple Exchange Servers on a single domain

Exchange is dependant on AD, so basically if you have your AD set up and running right then you can do that. However, since you gave no actual information as to the layout of your network and configuration of AD we can only guess.

Read some of the deployment tools documentation before you hit the setup file, or get back to us with more info so we can do some real helping instead of mind reading...

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi DanielP.

Well at the moment i have tried to implement exchange 2003 on our 200 domain on a member server running 2003 server. However when it gets to the portion where it extends the active directory schema to allow for exchange to be integrated into exchange it gives me problems.

So what i have proposed to my company is to upgrade all sites to win 2003 server. Bascially a fresh install. Thank heavens this isn;t such a big organisation hey! :P

After we have given the network a fresh install we will then install 2003 member servers with exchange. My problem however is how to connect the servers to each other? So as to run as one exchange server.

We used to have another System admin here that totally stuffed up the active directory this side. He started making changes in the schema and didn;t know waht he was doing. So basically a fresh install of all DC's is a good idea.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what "gives me problems" means, since (again) you chose not to supply us with relevant information (BTW, is the AD using W2K SP3 or higher on all DCs and GCs?)

However, if I understand correctly, your AD is already one big mess because of previous issues. I cannot say your problem cannot be fixed but I cannot tell you how to fix it if you don't give me something to work on. So if you want (and can) reinstall AD - be my guest.

Again, I suggest you read the deployment guides, they have all the info you need (equvalent to RTFM).
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

LOL! Ta DanielP.

I will let you know how it turns out. But instead of waisting time with finding a solution, which time is not one of the commodoties that i have right now. I will have to do a fresh install.

Ta.

Comment

Similar situation:

Existing Ex 2003 domain. Everything works fine. I added a new Ex 2003 server. Users on both servers can send mail to external domains. Neither can send messages to users on the other server.

Additionally, when the original server is rebooted, all the mail that was in queue for the 2nd server is delivered.
            Last edited by Chuck; 19th September 2006, 19:48.

Comment

Existing Exchange 2003 domain. OLDSERVER has been operating without a problem since installation.

I added NEWSERVER to the same Exchange domain. I can send mail from NEWSERVER to NEWSERVER, to OLDSERVER, and to the internet without any problems, but I can't get mail to flow to NEWSERVER from anywhere but from teh NEWSERVER.

I can telnet to NEWSERVER from OLDSERVER on port 25 without any problem.

When I reboot OLDSERVER, all the messages in queue are delivered to users on NEWSERVER.

NEWSERVER is also a domain controller and DNS server.

Comment

Post edited by MOD because it has been moved to its own thread.
                Last edited by biggles77; 26th February 2007, 06:35.

Comment

Fiji, might I suggest you make a new thread and copy your post to it. This topic was started 18 months ago and I think you will ger more replies if you start a new thread and give it a new title.

You will not get the double post wammy if you follow the suggestion and forget to edit the above post.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X