No announcement yet.

Exchange 5.5 SMTP very slow message queues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 5.5 SMTP very slow message queues

I am running an exchange 5.5 on NT 4 server fully service packed. Last week i was receiving the 'Extension SMTP could not be loaded ' error when i went into the IMS. MS Knowledge base suggest replacing the MFC42.dll with the same on the exchange disk... as well as checking the add in folder is setup correctly.

Instead of doing this i rebooted ther server, and all the services started running again. until later that day.

This happened a few times, and i thought the issue had been resolved now i can access IMS but the mail seems to queue periodically and a service restart resolves this. The messages are queueing in the outbound and some say host unreachable !! i can ping my ISP and resolve IP addresses correctly and browse the internet ok. I can access my ISP SMTP service fine by telnetting but my SMTP service is VERY slow at responding to requests.... I am left with the Microsoft resolve to try...

the version of MFC42.dll on the disk is several years older than the one i would be replacing on the server. Has anyone had experience of the issue i am describing and has anyone had success at replacing this file as a resolve.

Any suggestion would be greatfully received

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: Exchange 5.5 SMTP very slow message queues

Please review:

I think that its good time to upgrade to Exchange 2003...

Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog: