Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure RPC/HTTP over clustered Enviornment with ISA

Hi All,

We have exchange clustered enviornment with 1 active server, ISA is also configured as a proxy server. there is one virtual server for OWA.

We now need to configure RPC over HTTP, I have read few documents and go through some usefull link. I have few questions about configurations:

When we RDP to exchange server which ever active server is its establish a session, either server1 or server2, now is that ok to start configuring RPC/http on active server or do we need to go on both server?

OWA is configured on HTTPS, already have a certificates (Free) do we need to configure few more certifictaes?

Do we need to do any changes in ISA server?

I will be much appreciated if some 1 drop a guide line to configure RPC over HTTP as per our scenario.

Regards
    Sami

Re: Configure RPC/HTTP over clustered Environment with ISA

Do you have a frontend server?
    If not then you should really have one to use RPC over HTTPS. I wouldn't run a cluster without a frontend server due to the complexities involved.

The frontend server can be either Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 (but not Exchange 2010).

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Re: Configure RPC/HTTP over clustered Enviornment with ISA

Thanks Sembee,

No we don't have FE server and no way near to put FE server in the enviornment. is there any workaround you can suggest for RPC/HTTP configuration.

We have 3rd party who actually configured the exchange enviornment many years ago. They said they can do it and need changing in ISA and OWA server. But they are charging fortune to this job.

I am sure they have workaround, so they are confident to this job over the clustered enviornment.

Any idea how/what they are able to do this job?

Cheers!

Comment

ISA isn't "Exchange Aware" for want of a better phrase. It doesn't care what the Exchange setup is, the OWA publishing wizards are really just a specific Web Publishing Wizard. Normally all I do in ISA is run the wizard and then add the RPC virtual directory in IIS to the list of published paths.

However, as a cluster can't run the RPC Proxy component the recommended configuration is to add a Front End server to host this, OWA etc. The only workaround I can think of (and Sembee will correct me if this is not viable ) is to install the RPC Proxy onto another server and have ISA publish that under a seperate rule. More info here.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks mate,

Make sense.

Please correct me if I am mistaken here:

I will choose OWA server which is virtual machine and will install/configure RPC proxy there, certificates are already there because its apublic facing. ??

is that the correct work around to do this job?.

For ISA to publish a new rule, can I please have some guidence. I am actually with a very poor knowledge with ISA.

Thanks

Comment

I'd like someone to confirm that this is doable to be honest, never tried it.

Is your OWA installed on a non-Exchange server with IIS pointing to the Exchange cluster? I don't know of any other way to have OWA not on the Exchange Server with 2003. If it is an Exchange server you should make it a Front End server for simplicity's sake. Anyway, if you already have ISA publishing this server I would just add the appropriate paths to the ISA publishing rule. Can't remember what they are exactly off the top of my head but I'll dig them out. What ISA version are you running?
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: Configure RPC/HTTP over clustered Environment with ISA

You can't put any part of Exchange on to a non-Exchange server. That includes the RPC Proxy.
              OWA cannot be installed seperately.

As far as I am concerned, the cluster environment has been badly designed. I wouldn't install a cluster without a frontend server, even if you are using ISA server. I am surprise OWA is working correctly.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

We have 2 exchange active/active (one server is on standby) clustered enviornment. 3rd server is virtual machine installed with exchange server and we are using this for only OWA, nothing else activity going on this server.

3rd party who did this setup, advise for RPC/HTTP is to do some changes on OWA, which is now making sense after your advise and changes in ISA.

I think best way is to configure RPC/proxy is use OWA and publish a rule in ISA. Thanks for your advise guys, you are a stars.

We are using ISA 2006 - its been more then 3 years I hav'nt touch ISA server. Need some guidence in ISA please.

Regards
                Sami

Comment

OK, that makes more sense to me now. Install the RPC Proxy using the recommended settings. That is Daniel's article for single server deployments which is the only one I can find right now.

With ISA the only change you need to do is to add the RPC virtual directory to the published paths in the Outlook Web Access Publishing Rule. /rpc/* is the path you need to add, /public/*, /OWA/*, /Exchange/* and /Exchweb/* should be there already for OWA.
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Cruachan,

You have been very help full, thanks alot.

It all make sense, just a quick question as per Daniel's blog, at the bottom of the page where he is talking about registery settings and GUI settings:

Do I need to change any thing in exchange server as he mentioned:
                    On the RPC-HTTP tab, click on RPC-HTTP Back-End Server.??

Thanks Alot,

Sami

Comment

No, you can only configure the server as RPC Front End if it is an Exchange Front End, which this server is not. So no changes needed.
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Phew!!.... Thanks Cruachan,

You guys are legend, thank you very much.

I am sorry about my lack of knowledge, I am sure you will advise me here too.

in ISA server I am attaching a snapshot, we have 5 rules, I think last two is related to our owa. one more thing I need to share, we are using one more virtual server which is handling all our certificates.

So please correct me if I am mistaken, I am only adding path for RPC in the OWA rule (see attached picture) HTTP and HTTPs rules or only one of them?

Regards

Sami
                        Attached Files

Comment

Not on the first and third rules in that picture, one is an access rule and one is for ActiveSync. The other three will need to have the path added if you have RPC over HTTPS clients coming in over those URLs. If only one of those rules actually publishes the OWA server in question then the path only needs to be added to that rule.
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Cruachan,

I install/configure RPC/Proxy as per daniel instructions on OWA server, add paths on ISA server and click on test buttons, they were fine. But Outlook client is not working.

See attached picture, unable to connect exchange server.

I did some investigation and configure ports using Resource Kit Tools,

I can access https://owa.domain.co.uk/rpc but can't login its keep asking me user name and password, same thing with outlook its keep asking me my user name and password.

I think ISA is doing his job and I am reaching successfully to my OWA server, but owa server is not loading email database or owa is unable to connect exchange, does that make any sense?

Another thing could you please advise, see attached picture from exchange owa server, in general tab its already slected on FE server but in RPC HTTP tab,do I need to tick on the option rpc-http front end server, if I do, its not make any difference on clustered enviornment?

Please advise..

P.S: is it necessary to use additional profile for RPC in outlook?

Cheers!
                            Sami
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sami123; 18th April 2010, 16:34.

Comment

Hi,

I did the changes on OWA server and made this a fron-end server, could see the difference after, on outlokk client, and was able to connect exchange server with a different cache error.

But for some reason it is not working properly, I did some investigation and found the registery is not saving the changes every time I restart the server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\RpcProxy zeus:6001-6002;zeus.dpetri.net:6001-6002;mail.dpetri.net:6001-6002;zeus:6004;zeus.dpetri.net:6004;mail.dpetri.ne t:6004

I am changing the names correctly, but every time I restart its vanished. Even RPCCFG tool every time I add port, it is showing nothing. Could you please advise, what could be the problem is?

Regards

Sami

Comment

Working...
                              X