• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relaying error....

Hello,
    I am having trouble sending mail to my exchange server. (Exchange 2003
    SP1) I have set the smart host to use my ISP’s smtp server. I am using
    Comcast for my ISP, and it is a Home user dynamic IP. I can send and receive
    internally, and I can send externally, but I cannot receive external mail.
    Once I send it, I get a returned email with this error. “Remote host said:
    553 sorry, relaying denied from your location [216.82.240.35] (#5.7.1)”

Would using DynDNS services help me? Would smtp relay from godaddy help?

Re: relaying error....

Your ISP smtp server probably requires authentication - hence the relay message. Exchange 2003's default relay credentials are set for anonymous.

Check this out on how-to set up outbound authentication.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265293
    Last edited by ahinson; 30th August 2005, 04:39.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

So you are trying to send email to your server at home which is on a dynamic IP address ?

Have you got your MX records setup for your Domain, if so what do they point to ?

topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

The MX record points to my dynamic IP from godaddy and my mx record points to the host internally.

Comment

Does your ISP require authentication to allow yo to use there relay??

Comment

Well, when I use smtp.comcast.net, I can send mail out, but I cant receive back.
            Is there some type of security setting need to do on authentication?

If I use godaddy for my email, I can use thier smtp relays. Would this help me? I think its defeating the purpose to work through this..Any help you can give, would be great.

Comment

I must be missing something here.....

Forget ourbound mail that works, and forget Auithentication as this should not be an issue when recieving email (even though message says so).

We are talking about incoming email via SMTP.

How can you point your MX record to a dynamic IP address ? This address is prone to change (obviously) so your MX record will be incorrect.

Forget any internal MX records setup we are talking about the publically available records.

- Do you have port 25 open on your firewall to your exchange\mail server ?
              - Are you sure that you are not supposed to be using POP3 to collect mail ?
              - SMTP Auth should be set on your server to allow connections for incoming mail but not to relay to different domains, is this setup ?

Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood your problem.

topper

Comment

Originally posted by topper
                How can you point your MX record to a dynamic IP address ?
                In the US Comcast is a cable TV / internet provider. Typically IPs issued by cable internet providers here are semi-static meaning that you'll have that IP for 6-7 months at a time.

He may also be using an MX record from http://www.dyndns.org which keeps track of any IP changes etc. I've done this with a few domains and it works great. (Must use custom DNS to use your own TLD)

http://www.dyndns.org/services/dns/custom/features.html
                Last edited by ahinson; 30th August 2005, 14:20.
                Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson
                  In the US Comcast is a cable TV / internet provider. Typically IPs issued by cable internet providers here are semi-static meaning that you'll have that IP for 6-7 months at a time.
                  Ok makes sense.

Originally posted by spepi
                  Once I send it, I get a returned email with this error. “Remote host said:
                  553 sorry, relaying denied from your location [216.82.240.35] (#5.7.1)”
                  Where are you trying to send the message from then ? And are you sure this is your mail server returning the error message ?

Have you tried a simple telnet test to send a mail ?

And have you looked through http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895853&SD=tech#4

topper

Comment

I have port 25 forwared to my internal host IP on my router\firewall
                    When I use comcast email on my laptop, I do use POP3 to receive mail.
                    How can I use POP3 to receive email on exchange...I dont know what to setup.
                    Where is the SMTP authentication. I have my relay set to my local IP for my server.

Ahinson said:

He may also be using an MX record from http://www.dyndns.org which keeps track of any IP changes etc. I've done this with a few domains and it works great. (Must use custom DNS)

http://www.dyndns.org/services/dns/custom/features.html

I am using Dyndns, but my IP has been the same for as long as I can remember.
                    In DYNDNS custom DNS, what do I need to setup? Is this a pay service? I use the free DYNDNS to keep my IP up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by topper
                      Ok makes sense.

Where are you trying to send the message from then ? And are you sure this is your mail server returning the error message ?

Have you tried a simple telnet test to send a mail ?

And have you looked through http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895853&SD=tech#4

topper
                      I have tried sending to a mailbox from yahoo, work, hotmail, comcast...I get the same results, but different IP addresses.
                      I can do the telnet test internally on my LAN and I get the expected results. When I do it from an outside source, I get nothing in return...

This could be the root of my problem.

Comment

If you use custom DNS then you have to transfer the domain name to DynDNS although I don't think they charge for it.

What is your Domain name and I will check out the MX record, (PM me if you don't want it public).

SMTP relay's are for outbound messages only (generally speaking), and when you set your relay it basically means when you send a message your server forwards the mail to the relay which then sends it direct to the recipient email server.

With incoming email the originator's server looks up your MX record then sends the email direct to the IP it gets from the MX record on port 25.

well thats the basics anyway !!

topper

Comment

I understand the basics, but I dont understand why they dont make it.
                          When doing a telnet to port 25...it hangs..and bombs...How can I get around this?
                          Port 25 is open on my Fwal, I can get to Webmail....

Comment

PM Sent.

You have 2 MX records

x.x.x.x - exchange.domain.com &
                            x.x.x.x - domain.dyndns.org

Both with same priority and same IP so as long as your IP doesn't change you are OK.

I am guessing that this IP is the IP of router\firewall which then NAT's to your exchange server.

Are you using exchange ?

topper

Comment

Yes. The IP is my router, which is NAT (Or in Linksys( Forwarded to internal IP.
                              I am using Exchange 2003 Standard, SP1

So, if I'm ok...why cant I email in....or telnet in....for that matter.
                              DYNDNS custom service doesnt require to move your domain name, but you have to use thier name servers.
                              Im pretty sure I need to have DNS running inside my network.
                              I know my external IP is the one being hit.

Should I set my NIC DNS settings to use External IP's instead of my internal IP?

Comment

Working...
                              X