MS2003SBS Exchange 2003 Sp2 client changing ISP and Domain Hosting MX help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS2003SBS Exchange 2003 Sp2 client changing ISP and Domain Hosting MX help

I'm just learning exchange under fire. My client has change ISP providers so I have to change the Wan settings on my router they are also changing hosts. Does the host or ISP create a MX record pointing to my new address and do I also do this in exchange. I have no problem working with SBS and Cisco routers. I'm reading around the clock everything I can find on exchange. Also, should the domain hosting happen over a weekend when company is closed because of time it may take for the new MX record to be posted. Do I also have to change the A record?
    Thank you in advance,
    Michael Warren

Re: MS2003SBS Exchange 2003 Sp2 client changing ISP and Domain Hosting MX help

you need to create an A record to resolve to the ip of your exhange server.

the sending server will perform an mx lookup so it knows where to deliver mail.

examples:

A records = mail.domain.com (sometimes just enter mail within your hosting panel as some tag the domain on) x.x.x.x

mx records = 10 mail.domain.com x.x.x.x
    = 20 mail2.domain.com x.x.x.x (another I.P should the first one be unavailable)

A good tool to help check with records is Mxtoolbox.com The ttl setting will determine when public dns check these records are still valid and usually update within a few hours.

Comment

Should the A point to the WAN side IP address and not the private? If it's the private and my XChange is on My DC, then that would not change. I guess I'm asking should I use the WAN static address given to my Gateway router in the A record?
      Thank you for the quick response. I did find the site you mentioned previously and intend to use that before I make any changes on the DC. I've also downloaded smtpdiag which is a great tool for me to figure out "Whose on First?"
      Mike

Comment

DNS records on your domain controller have nothing to do with the operation of email on the Internet. The Internet does not use those records.

If you are changing providers then you need to change the entries in the Internet facing DNS provider - that will normally be with whoever looks after your domain name.

If unfortunate then the old ISP will control the domain name. If that is the case then you will need to get it off them. If you are lucky then it will be hosted with someone else and you can get it changed with them.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

First Thank you to all. I will call my ISP to check with them. My DC only has 1 Network card. The outward facing IP given by the new provider + Gateway, DNS etc. I'll change on the gateway router. Currently (before change over) I see the old ip in the A record. I assume mail will no longer come to our exchange server if I don't correct this ip address in the A record. That seems logical, but ........?
          Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          DNS records on your domain controller have nothing to do with the operation of email on the Internet. The Internet does not use those records.

If you are changing providers then you need to change the entries in the Internet facing DNS provider - that will normally be with whoever looks after your domain name.

If unfortunate then the old ISP will control the domain name. If that is the case then you will need to get it off them. If you are lucky then it will be hosted with someone else and you can get it changed with them.

Simon.
          Last edited by mwarren; 28th March 2010, 15:52.

Comment

Working...
          X