Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX Record from other domain?

Hi everyone!

1st time poster looking for help please.

I'm part of a company which several months ago was taken over by a US based company. Up until now we have still be running with your old email external email domain ([email protected]) but recently we have been asked to get all the users onto a new domain ([email protected]) for email.

I originally thought register the domain, get the MX record pointing here and thats it, but turned our our now parent company in the US (im in New Zealand) had already registered the newdomain.co.nz and they were holding onto it. So, what I got them to do was to change the MX record for the newdomain and point it to our system here mail.olddomain.co.nz.

We have a WatchGuard firewall on the public IP which sends all SMTP proxy traffic through to the internal IP of our exchange server.

This is working great for the olddomain.co.nz but all the newdomain.co.nz bounces instantly with Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Now I've added an SMTP address into our exchange for me so that should be fine, but I've noticed in our firewall logs that there is no deny/accept for any SMTP traffic coming from the newdomain IP, so I not sure why its not getting here if the MX record has been updated (2 days ago)?

Also, there is no domain trust between us yet. Not going to happen for a while due to political reason, which is why I thought the MX record would be an easy way for us to get email on the newdomain.co.nz

Any help as I'm totally stuck!?

Thanks!

Andy

Re: MX Record from other domain?

Have you just manually added an email address for yourself? If so it won't work as Exchange needs to be told it is authoritative for a new email domain before it will accept the email.

Check this article on the main Petri site. You don't specify what version of Exchange you're using, but will quickly get you what you need if it's not 2003.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: MX Record from other domain?

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      Have you just manually added an email address for yourself? If so it won't work as Exchange needs to be told it is authoritative for a new email domain before it will accept the email.

Check this article on the main Petri site. You don't specify what version of Exchange you're using, but will quickly get you what you need if it's not 2003.
      SWEEEEEET!

I'd just added the address manually as I only wanted to test it on my account first. I'd gone into our SMTP connector and saw that the address space was * so thought it would work fine as long as I added an SMTP address to my account.

That article was just the thing I needed so thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
      X