No announcement yet.

Unable to contact schema when installing second server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to contact schema when installing second server

hi all,

i'm just preparing for 70-284 (Ms Exchange 2003) paper and need your help in a simulation

I use virtual PC for lab purpose

Here is my scenario (In virtual PC)

1. Server - 1 - Acting as DC, DNS, DHCP, Exchange 2003
    2 Server - 2 - Member Server joined to domain

When i try to install Ex 2003 on server -2 i always get error during setup "Unable to contact schema". I want to add the 2nd server for failover purpose.

I have learnt that we cant install two ex servers in a single forest (single domain) scenario.

Someone kindly help me to install a 2nd server in the same domain for failover purpose.

This is just a simulation to be used for study purpose.

thaddeus fernandes

Re: Hi

Did you have any problems installing Windows 2003 on the second server and joining it to the domain?
    If so, check virtual PC networking is consistent
    If not, check you can ping the main DC by netbios and fqdn and that your account has permissions. Review this link:
    What exchange mode are you in -- mixed or native?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Unable to contact schema when installing second server

First of all when you say failover it means cluster i hope you are not doing cluster lab here. Just trying to add another exchangs server to existing exchange org.

Since you have installed first exchange server then adding second shudn't be a problem.
      You have said you are using DHCP on Server 1. Make sure you have static ip for both the servers. Then you fix your dns records. Then you try to install second exchange server on member server in the same domain using Administrator account (enterprise account) this would take care of most of the issues.

Note: In real world scenario there are different account for performing different tasks but since you are doing a lab i think it shud be fine to use EA account.

if still it fails. Upload ExchangeInstall log file it would be under c:\
      Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
      Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points