mailbox storage limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mailbox storage limit

small office with about 30 mailboxes total.

exchange 2003 runs on server with windows 2003 server standard

out of the ~30 users with mailboxes, the biggest mailbox is about 2.5GB and the smallest one is about 500kb.

the server has enough space, that isn't an issue, but i just want to get everyone's opinions on mailbox size limits.

where do you guys draw the line?

thanks.

Re: mailbox storage limit

Up to management in part
    but IMHO since storage space is cheap, give them as much as they reasonably need -- I prefer to have the mail on a server, backed up and under MY control rather than on PSTs scattered who knows where!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Up to management in part
      but IMHO since storage space is cheap, give them as much as they reasonably need -- I prefer to have the mail on a server, backed up and under MY control rather than on PSTs scattered who knows where!

right, i agree.

in terms of management...they are the ones with the large mailboxes.

i guess what i should have asked was....

for those are exchange admins and know exchange better than i do...where is the breaking point for exchange/the exchange db?

lets assume i have a 250gb partition and my backups are not an issue...can users have 15GB mailboxes? assuming they never go over the limit of 250gb?

again, my biggest box is about 2.5GB, but i figured it would be a good questions to ask, since i really didn't know.

thanks.

Comment

I've not found a problem with large mailboxes (10Gb+) but others may have
        Another issue might be offline storage (if they use Outlook as a client)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you Exchange 2003 Standard or Enterprise? If Enterprise then the disk limit is really the limit to the size of the store. If it's standard then Exchange is limited to 75gb.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Well spotted, Cruachan -- I missed we were talking 2003
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Are you Exchange 2003 Standard or Enterprise? If Enterprise then the disk limit is really the limit to the size of the store. If it's standard then Exchange is limited to 75gb.
              75gb per user?

if so, that is alot...for our organization, anyway.

2003 standard is what i am using.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                Don't forget that the default limit with SP2 installed is 18GB. You have to make a manual change to get to the 75GB limit as per this article by Daniel Petri. http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No, 75Gb TOTAL for the storage group -- and since we're talking E2K3 Standard, you have (count 'em carefully) ONE only
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

ONE Storage Group but TWO Stores, Mailbox Store and Public Folder Store. Each Store has a capacity of up to 75GB therefore the 1 Storage Group has a total capacity of up to 150GB.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

according to ex merge, i have a total of 43 mailboxes and i need 28.78 GB of storage to back up all the mailboxes.

i do have sp2 for my server and exchange ESM, but i do not recall making this change.

http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm

also, i am going to look into this

http://www.petri.com/reporting_stora...n_exchange.htm

Comment

ok here is some more info...

D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb- 10,232,136 KB

D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.stm- 3,794,952 KB

D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.edb- 61,448 KB

D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub.stm- 2,056 KB

looks like i am getting very close to 18GB.

Comment

Hi all,
                          ok, i up total storage group to 75GB.
                          But i want to know, what is total limit per user. Now limits per user is default (2GB)
                          I read this feature http://www.petri.com/setting_mailbox...s_over_2gb.htm
                          There for example mailbox limit up from 2 GB limit to 3 GB.
                          Anyone who test or know what is optimal limit ? Can i up to 8-9 GB ?
                          Use Windows is 2003 Standard SP2 .

Comment

Biggles: Always forget that one, it's a LONG time since I deployed an Exchange 2003 server and had to make the change.

I support companies with users (almost invariably in the coloured pencil departments as the BOFH refers to them ) who have 10-12gb mailboxes with no issues. Make sure though that these users have auto-archiving turned off in Outlook, as giant PST files are a giant PITA. I usually use the Office ADMs to disable auto-archiving in Group Policy.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X