No announcement yet.

Getting This Error Message When Trying To Download the GAL

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting This Error Message When Trying To Download the GAL

Task "Microsoft Exchange" reported error (0x8004011D): The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists.

I get this error message when I try to download the Address Book to my Outlook. I can still send and receive email fine but I am not able to download the OAB. When I logon to OWA is shows up properly there.

Also when I do a right click and go to properties on any mailbox store in ESM I get this error message. However, I can still pull up the properties page fine but I just get this message.

There is no such object on the server
    Facility: Win32
    ID no:c0072030
    Exchange System Manager

We also had a consultant come in an delete our Public Folders and it also had a form attached in it. Do a right click on the database and I browse to the Default public store and the Offline address list there is nothing that shows up in the popup window. However, it is showing it Grayed out on the general tab, but just not showing up when browsing. Also the same thing for the public folders.

I think I need to recreate this...does anyone have any information on this?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by mooredb; 22nd February 2010, 13:57.

Re: Getting This Error Message When Trying To Download the GAL

The OAB is stored in the public folders. If the public folders were removed then that will cause the problem that you are seeing. If a "consultant" came in and did that, then either ask them to come and fit the problem they caused, or pay for someone who knows what they are doing to resolve the issue for you.

You cannot operate Exchange 2003 without Public Folders.

There are hardly any times when deleting the public folder store is a good idea, so it sounds like you had a cowboy consultant work on the server.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.