No announcement yet.

How to stop email from being sent to a mailbox

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop email from being sent to a mailbox

I have several mailboxes that we use for scanners, copiers, faxes etc....The problem is that they are a member of the Domain users (and I can't remove that) and when someone sends out email to the entire company it goes in those mailboxes and fills up. The only group they are a member of is the Domain Users. They are around 500MB because I have size limits on them.

Is there a way that I can stop mail from being sent to these types of mailboxes? I stil need them to be able to authicate to the domain as well.

Re: How to stop email from being sent to a mailbox

Hide from exchange address lists
    Domain users is not a mail enabled group by default
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: How to stop email from being sent to a mailbox

The simple answer is not to mail enable groups like Domain Users, Domain Admins etc - in fact any groups where there could be system or service accounts.

I don't think I have ever mail enabled the system groups and wouldn't want to.

Create specific groups that only have valid user accounts in them, not service/system accounts.

The only way to stop email going to those accounts would be to put restrictions on each mailbox, but that would mean doing it individually on each group, for each account. It may also have unintentional side effects that could cause disruption to the operation of the domain.

Create replacement groups and mail disable any of the built in groups.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.