No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 - issue with mail flow

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 - issue with mail flow

I've got Exchange 2003 SP2 ENG (Native Mode) on Windows Server 2003 SP2 ENG x86 with additional DC (AD), DNS, DHCP, WINS role installed + antispam filter GFI MailEssentials. (DC has GC and exchange look global catalog fine, DNS resolution works fine). Exchange hasn't got connector just Default Virtual SMTP Server (without smart host). Telnet from the server to other mail servers works!
    All work fine but some time ago i saw strange queues with undeliverable mail. Messages stuck in the smtp queue "message routed and queued for remote delivery" with status (of queue) Active. I tried to do "Force connection" and "Freeze\Unfreeze" but it didn't help me. And this happened only with several domain queues - all other mail flowed without any errors... I've saw some strange error in event log:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 1/26/2010
    Time: 6:29:34 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: server
    Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe

Now there're only one way to fix this issue, that i've found - restart Default Virtual SMTP Server. But I'm not able to just simple restart it from exchange System Manager because it stop responding... I try to restart smtp service form comp.manager mmc console and it stop responding too. (its status change to "Stopping") I need to kill inetinfo.exe from task manager that i will able to start smtp\exchange services again. After this procedure all mail start to flow without any errors some time. When i'm trying to restart smtp server\service there're some erros in the event log:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: W3SVC
    Event ID: 1013
    Date: 2/1/2010
    Time: 4:52:51 PM
    Computer: Server
    A process serving application pool 'ExchangeApplicationPool' exceeded time limits during shut down. The process id was '3092'.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W3SVC
    Event ID: 1030
    Date: 2/1/2010
    Time: 8:42:01 PM
    Computer: Server
    Inetinfo terminated unexpectedly and the system was not configured to restart IIS Admin. The World Wide Web Publishing Service has shut down.

But may be it's depends on killing inetinfo.exe process!?

I've tried to look at logs of the Exchange and smtp service and have found:
    1. The standard exchange log (located by default in c:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Server.log\) comes to an end record with id 1034 (message routed and queued for remote delivery);
    2. There're not any record about stuck messages in standart smtp service (located by default in c:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1\). Exchange seems doesn't try to send mail...

In addition, i've found that sometimes "stuck queue" keep alive even if there are nomessages in queue. For expl - queues of the exchange after reboot, all mail going well but there're one old "stuck queue" ( without any messages (it has kept alive several days already) I've used TCPViewer and there're active connection to this domain ( with CLOSE_WAIT status. It seems exchange maintains an active SMPT connection with
    specific domain even if there are nomessages in queue...

I tried to use chkdsk, Diagnostics Logging (MSExchangeTransport), stopping antispam GFI services - without result!

MB someone has any ideas what can it be? Thx advance!

PS sorry for my english

Re: Exchange 2003 - issue with mail flow

GFI is well known for causing issues. Disabling it is NOT enough - you have to remove the product and reboot.

You should also ensure that you have the correct AV exclusions in place for any file level AV, so that that are not scanning any of the Exchange folders. The exclusions are documented on Microsoft's web site.

However I would suggest starting with a removal of GFI, as that is the most likely cause.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Exchange 2003 - issue with mail flow

Thx for your answer!
      Yes, reinstall GFI anti-spam filter - fix my problem ;(