Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cannot send mail to a certain domain. able to send to the rest of the world!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot send mail to a certain domain. able to send to the rest of the world!

So we have this exchange server that has been having problems. and one of the latest that i have noticed is that i cannot send mail to a certain domain. being which in this instant will be domain.net. there is messages sent to this one domain being held up in the queue.

when i ESM, under the queue for this server, there is a queue for domain.net and it is not delivering the messages. on the bottom of the window there is a small section that says additional queue information and under that it says An SMTP error occured.

I do not have an event ID or anything on it available to me at the moment.

We can send and recieve to any other domain in the world but we can only recieve mail from domain.net. some tell me it most likely could be their server. but just trying to see if anyone can enlighten me before i call the company about their server. thanks

As an update i sent an e-mail message and let it timeout in the queue and it sent me a NDR. and here is what it said.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

theirdomain.net on 1/29/2010 12:44 PM
    This message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server. Please retry at a later time. If that fails, contact your system administrator.
    <mydomain.local #4.3.2>
    Last edited by templarvisonz; 29th January 2010, 21:35.

Re: cannot send mail to a certain domain. able to send to the rest of the world!

The clue is in the NDR. It says it was rejected due to their current administration policy. Plausible that youmay be greylisted or blacklisted for some reason by the destination server. How are you sending email from exchange? If via DNS ensure you have a PTR record in public DNS (IE: the Internet). Failing that send via a smarthost preferably your ISP.

Comment

Re: cannot send mail to a certain domain. able to send to the rest of the world!

Simple answer is that if you can send email to everyone else, but not one domain, then it is a problem with the remote side. They are rejecting the email for some reason. However their NDR is close to useless and doesn't say why the email was rejected which is useless.

If the NDR says domain.local - that may well be one of the reasons. Anything .local isn't valid on the Internet. It should be set to host.example.com (where that is the host name that your server is known as on the Internet). You should also ensure that you have a matching PTR record.

http://exchange.sembee.info/network/dnsconfig.asp

Simon.
      Last edited by Sembee; 15th July 2011, 12:34. Reason: URL Correction
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Yea so I called the ISP and found that our hosted domain is (domain.org) instead of (domain.local) the domain.local is the name of our Windows domain. I guess by default exchange used our windows domain for the FQDN. I changed that in the smtp connector so hopefully that will fix this. thanks for the url Sembee. i'll post an update later

Comment

I gave exchange a chance after i called the ISP and changed our hosted domain from (domain.local) to (domain.org). We are still being blacklisted by the destination server with smtp error 4.4.7 So almost for sure I will need to contact the company and get this sorted out. Thanks everyone for your help. If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know thanks!

Comment

How did you get on with this?

Is it the same ndr after the change?

Comment

I got same NDR as before.

Comment

Hi

You can also check if you IP address is blacklisted. You can use mxtoolbox.com to find if your IP address is blacklisted somewhere. Exchange servers or antispam tools subscribe to online Real Time Black List to prevent spammers spamming their domains.

Else Contact the remote IT Admin and let him know and possibly they can white list ur ip address.

hope this information may help you.
                Thanks & Regards
                v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
                Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
                Independent IT Consultant and Architect
                Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

thanks v-2nas for the url to mxtoolbox.com. it gave me all kinds of info.

from there i found that i am being blacklisted because at one point we had an open relay server but that had been corrected. that most likely what caused our domain to get blacklisted.

thanks everyone for their help. i will create new post for blacklisting

Comment

Working...
                  X