No announcement yet.

Mail not delivered 550 5.7.1

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail not delivered 550 5.7.1

We're on Exchange 2003 and some users are getting the following when trying to send:
    Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
             Subject:  Generic subject here
          Sent:     25.1.2010 12:14 
       The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: 
             [email protected] on 25.1.2010 12:17  
                The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to.  Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
                   < #5.1.1 smtp; 550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: Mail appeared to be SPAM or forged. Ask your Mail/DNS-Administrator to correct HELO and DNS MX settings or to get removed from DNSBLs; please relay via your ISP (>
    and I'm pretty much lost where to even begin to check.

I checked the MX DNS record and it's the correct one. I went to the Default SMTP Virtual Server\Properties\Delivery\Advanced and the FQDN is correct, I also get "The domain name is valid" when I click on "Check DNS".

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Re: Mail not delivered 550 5.7.1

The DNS check on the SMTP virtual server is a waste of time. That is an internal check.

There are two reasons why you are getting the error.

1. The SMTP banner is incorrect. It should be - Exchange sets it as host.example.local or by default.

2. Lack of PTR record (aka reverse DNS). That is set by your ISP and should resolve to the host name of the server - so

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Have you checked to see if the recipient is valid (the recipient actually has a mailbox on the destinatiomn server)?

It turned out all users were actually sending to the same couple users (although they stated otherwise when asked).

The problem was on the other side. Thank you both.