• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to remove Exchange 2003 after migration to Exchange 2007

The current organization.
    2x Exchange 2007 SP2 on Windows 2008 SP2 with SCR
    1 x legacy Exchange 2003 SP2 on windows 2003 SP2
    None of the exchange servers are on DCs

The migration to the 2007 is completed, all Mailboxes, Public folders etc have been moved. The client tested by shutting down the 2003 server for 3 days to ensure no issues.

Final stage (remove Exchange 2003) failed (see attached error), I have followed all the usual procedures - checked AD - no users listed with this server (all on the new 2007 box).

Checked in system manager- no users on any datastore, then removed the datastores.

Had the same error when trying to remove.

The only unusual item is a groupwise connector as the client migrated from groupwise to Exchange some years ago.

Any clues/options rather than the manual uninstall option??
    Attached Files

Re: Unable to remove Exchange 2003 after migration to Exchange 2007

There is probably one user left with some attributes still pointing to the E2k3 server. Try a custom search in User and Computers, the LDAP filter should include the "msExchHomeServerName" attribute only and could look like this:

(msExchHomeServerName=/o=%Org-name%/ou=%admin group name%/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn="E2k3-servername%)

Delete any you find and removing the server should work.

Comment

Had a similar problem myself...Try following this article to find the mailboxes that still exist on the server:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555147

Comment

Thanks guys,

However as I said in the original post I had already checked AD for users with this server - there are none - all users point to the new Exchange 2007 box.

I have followed all the MS articles I could find before posting

Comment

I just went though the same exact thing. Nobody nowhere had a home server of the old server. None of the tools anywhere showed any users. As a sanity check, I even had another admin take a look at that KB article and he was unable to find anything either. I eventually just gave up and manually removed the old Exchange server from Active Directory, no adverse effects and a hell of a lot easier than running long command line like tools which return 0 results.

As long as everything is in fact moved over, you should be all set

Here is the article I used,
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396
          no effects what-so-ever lingering around. Everything is running great... well with the exception of a crazy POP3 server crashing issue. But thats not related to the old Exchange Server
          Daniel Frei
          -Windows Operations Server Administrator
          -Exchange Guru
          -Cisco Fanatic
          -SharePoint Hippie
          -Volkswagen Enthusiast

www.lazynetworkadmin.com

Comment

BTW.. it should be noted that I did this 6 days ago and I have been monitoring the eventlog ever since... nothing related to the old server
            Daniel Frei
            -Windows Operations Server Administrator
            -Exchange Guru
            -Cisco Fanatic
            -SharePoint Hippie
            -Volkswagen Enthusiast

www.lazynetworkadmin.com

Comment

Working...
            X