Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to uninstall Exchange 2003 after server demotion

Hi,

I am a consultant who was given a Windows Server 2003 enterprise server which also has Exchange 2003 installed on it, to prepare for donation to a charity.

As the Windows and Driver CDs for this server was lost, I was just to delete the data, re-name the server & domain and setup at the new site. This server before being decommissioned was the only server in the domain with DC, Exchange, DNS & DHCP roles.

I thought I uninstalled the Exchange yesterday. I had deleted the mailboxes and uninstalled. There was an error on un-installation, (can't remember the error), but I thought it was alright when I saw the exchange tabs were gone on user accounts and system manager short cut couldn't find path to open.

But today after demoting the server, I was cleaning up the C drive and saw that Exchange was still showing in program files, and is also still showing in Add Remove Programs.

When I now try to uninstall the Exchange from the Control Panel I get the error:
    The component "Microsoft Exchange and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Remove" because:
    - Setup encountered an error while trying to contact the Windows Active Directory. The error was:
    - Failed to lookup Windows domain to which this computer belongs. Please verify that your computer is in a Windows domain
    - You must be logged on to a Windows domain instead of local machine

I don't have a backup of the previous AD setup.

Is there anyway I can get around this to uninstall the Exchange. I do have the Exchange 2003 CD. I was going to re-install it for the charity after demotion & re-naming the server & domain.

Please help!

Cheers,
    tanjo

Re: Unable to uninstall Exchange 2003 after server demotion

Would you not be better with a clean install of the OS and then Exchange?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Yes it would be better to do clean install but the organisation donating the server has lost Windows Server install CDs & also machine driver (Dell) CDs.

If there's no way around it, then will get a Windows Server CD to do re-install and download drivers from web.

Thanks.

Comment

Drivers are no problem -- just put the tag in on the Dell site
        Assuming you have the CoA and product key, you can use any suitable Server 2003 CD
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you will just do a complete re-installation.

Cheers,
          tanjo.

Comment

Working...
          X