Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same Excahnge set-up on two different servers

Morning all,

The new company I work for want to omplement some high availability software which (once configured) will reaplce the IP address of a backup server with the IP address of a failing primary server. BAsically we currently have 2 DC and I am building another 2 to be housed somewhere. The High Availablility software runs on the 2 back up server's and replicates all data in real time between the primary and backup. If the primary server fails the back up server takes the IP address of the primary server and everything is theory should work (I personally dont think it's the best idea but it aint my choice)

we currently have a server running and a DC with exchange 2003 on. I am in the process of building the back up server for this machine as a DC and planning on installing exchange as well.

My question is can I install exchange on the back up server and have the original server replicate it's data to the back up server (Just like DC replication) so if the primary mail / DC server fails and the back-up server takes it's IP address all users mail would have been replicated to the new server?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Ok im not 100% certain on this but what you need to look at is exchange clustering. What you want to do is not available straight out of the box.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
      Ok im not 100% certain on this but what you need to look at is exchange clustering. What you want to do is not available straight out of the box.
      Actually not quite true.

Have a look at Neverfail http://www.neverfailgroup.com/(there are others). This will create an environment that you are looking for.

From memory you install a proprietry network card on both servers and install some software. Both machines are assigned the same IP address and a packet filter will stop the packets going to the wrong machines.

There is a lot more to this than i have explained (I've seen it in practice working but have never dealt with it.) so please read up on it.

PDF

http://extranet.neverfailgroup.com/u...2005-05-17.pdf

Comment

we have the high availability software but it only replicates data instantly. I dont think it can actually intergrate with exchange and replicate the exchange data.

I was just wondering if it's possible. Personally I dont think it's the best solution but I dont make the decisions.

Cheers for the info anyway.

I'll wait and see what the managers idea was

Thanks

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

Comment

Who do you use for the software?

They may or may not have plug-in software or another product which will achieve what you need.

I would imagine though that your software at the moment will backup you store and transaction logs as they change.

Comment

Working...
          X