Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Procedure to host two AD domains on one Exchange server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedure to host two AD domains on one Exchange server?

Hi,

Can anyone direct me to a procedure for hosting two AD domains on a single Exchange server?

I have a root and child domain with an exchange server in the child domain (child1). Now I am adding another child domain (child2) and I want the users I configure in that domain to be hosted by my one Exchange server. They are currently part of a separate AD forest so I created accounts for them in the child1 domain so they could use Exchange, but now that I am able to make them part of my central forest, I am not sure how to handle things. I expect that I will have to delete their existing accounts from child1 and recreate them in child2 (that in itself is going to take some planning), but can they reside in child2 domain and still use the exchange server in child1 domain?

Thanks for your help.
    Craig

Re: Procedure to host two AD domains on one Exchange server?

not quite the response you were looking for, but check out ADMT for account migration...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As tehcamel already stated ADMT would be the tool of choice for me too.

Regarding your second question, yes Exchange is able to support users of the domain child2 as well. Make sure you run /domainprep for that domain and make sure users use the correct Global Catalog server for their address book lookups.

Comment

Hi

Well I am a little confused with the configuration you stated. However to provide you with a straight answer

In a forest we can have only one exchange orgnisation. and all the users in forest can use that exchange wheather they are from parent domain or any child domain

thanks

Karan
        Best Regards,
        Pledge Technologies

Comment

Thanks for the responses tehcamel, FischFra, and Karen. First, my configuration should be straightforward - sorry for my poor explanation. Let me try again:

Root Domain
          (2 DCs)
          |
          ---------------------
          | |
          Child1 Domain Child2 Domain
          (2 DCs) (1 DC - for now)
          (Exchange) xxx
          (users) (need to create users)

Child2 is the new domain.

If I understand correctly, I need to run Exchange domainprep on Child2 and (from other reading) create a Recipient Update Service (RUS) for that domain. Then, if I want to move my existing users to the new domain, I need to use ADMT. That leads me to a few more questions.

1. Since the existing users that need to be moved to Child2 have no function in Child1 except to provide access to Exchange, and since I am only talking about 50 users, would it be worth my time to learn how to use ADMT or would it be faster to just rename the accounts in Child1 and recreate them in Child2, create Exchange attributes without a new mailbox and then connect them to the existing mailbox from the renamed users in Child1?

2. How do I make sure that users use the correct GC server? The new domain will be located at a different site with a VPN tunnel in between. However the VPN tunnel is running over a DSL line that isn't particularly speedy. I will have a GC on the DC for Child2 and that will eventually synchronize with the GCs in Child1, but the WAN link is not very fast.

I think I will have additional questions, but let's start with these.

Thanks,
          Craig

Comment

Oops, the message editor used a monospaced font so I thought my diagram would look OK, but apparently that is not the case. To understand my drawing, I recommend copying the text to a text editor that is using monospaced fonts.

Sorry about that.

Comment

Managing ADMT isn't really hard to learn so I would go this route, IMHO it would make this migration a smooth one.

Regarding the use of the correct GC, you have to configute this option at the clients. Normally they would use the one provided by the Exchange server, so you have to set the option to use the closest GC or if you plan to configure cached mode then for address book lookups they will use the Offline Addressbook instead of a GC.

Comment

OK, I'm going to look at ADMT. The original users are in the domain1.forest2 domain, but their groups and rights are all going to be changed, so I think I'll abandon them. In addition, I created duplicate users in child1.forest1 so that they could use the Exchange server in that domain. Now I want to move the users to child2.forest1. At least I won't have to disable them, create new users, and then associate the mailboxes with the new users, so it is worth a try.

My problem is knowing which version of ADMT I should use - 3.0 or 3.1?

My Exchange server is running on 2003 as is the DC for child1.forest1 (where the users currently exist). However, the DC for child2.forest1 is a 2008 server. Do I run ADMT 3.0 on a 2003 server in child1.forest1 and push them to child2.forest1? Or do I run ADMT 3.1 on a 2008 server in child2.forest1 and pull them from child1.forest1?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X