Help with I-Phone / Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with I-Phone / Exchange 2003

Hi all, for my first post I will attempt to give as much info as possible and hope someone can put me out of my week long misery

Router
    Ports 25 for SMTP, 80 for HTTP & 443 for HTTPS are open.
    I can Telnet the ports okay.

OWA
    I can access Outlook via https://mail.mydomain.gb.com/exchange.
    I have a 'padlock' on the address bar as my Default Web Site is set for SSL.
    I have a trial SSL from Comodo and verify the certificate and my FQDN match, and all appears fine.

Exchange
    Exchange SP2, IIS6
    I have followed this sites, microsoft's and others instructions on OWA, HTTPS & SSL setup and all works via a PC outside the domain.
    I have 'toggled' the client certificate options and got the required messages/errors when doing the HTTPS request from outside the domain.
    I have 'toggled' require SSL and can do a normal HTTP request.
    All Active Directory settings checked for active sync and Mobile access.

I-Phone
    3GS latest version.
    I can access internet on the I-Phone.
    I can access Hotmail.
    I have attempted to use I-Phone configuration utility and installed the profile directly to the I-Phone.
    I have also emailed the profile to my hotmail account, accessed it via the I-Phone and installed it.
    I can OWA on the I-Phone via safari.
    I have tried manually adding an exchange email account on the I-Phone using the very same credentials that work for HTTPS access from my home PC and via Safari and OWA on the I-Phone.

The I-Phone wont connect to exchange. The Server could not be contacted and the account information could not be verified.

Via the config utility I have tried all the permutations possible regarding credentials. Even leaving domain username and password out so that i get prompted for them whilst trying to connect.

Ideas and questions please.
    Brian

Re: Help with I-Phone / Exchange 2003

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum.

I will try and dig the article I used, but there is additional work. Namely:

IMAP Service will need to be enabled in exchange and port 143 forwarded and 993 for SSL IMAP.

I seem to recall being advised to set the initial handshake over wi-fi (assuming this is possible)

Let us know how you get on.

Simon

Comment

Thanks Simon.
      I've not seen many comments/docs regarding IMAP or the other Ports, to be honest.
      However, I'll give it a whirl, I've exhausted the service provider's (orange) and apple's tech teams.

Rgds
      Brian

Comment

IMAP is no longer required, as the iPhone now natively supports ActiveSync. You'll need to setup the account on the iPhone, install the certificate (only if the iPhone doesn't already trust Comodo certificates, I know it's a Trusted Root CA in Windows) and make sure you can access the Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync virtual directory in IIS and your account is enabled for ActiveSync (should be by default).
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: Help with I-Phone / Exchange 2003 - update

I have connected the i-phone to an alternative exchange server (test account) at another company and all worked fine. Sent/received email.
          I have talked to a colleague at that company and ensured my IIS settings match theirs.
          When i connect to our exchange on the i-phone "Cannot get mail - The connection to the server failed".
          I have checked the firewall that there are no timeout settings.
          I have increased the connection timeout to 1,800 seconds in IIS.

Any other ideas ??

Comment

Re: Help with I-Phone / Exchange 2003 - update

Originally posted by BrinM View Post
            I have connected the i-phone to an alternative exchange server (test account) at another company and all worked fine. Sent/received email.
            I have talked to a colleague at that company and ensured my IIS settings match theirs.
            When i connect to our exchange on the i-phone "Cannot get mail - The connection to the server failed".
            I have checked the firewall that there are no timeout settings.
            I have increased the connection timeout to 1,800 seconds in IIS.

Any other ideas ??
            Alright here you go

Things to check:

1. Try accessing https://mail.mydomain.gb.com/Microso...ver-ActiveSync from any computer external to your domain and this should give you 501/505 in Internet explorer.
            2. Are you using Form Based Authentication for OWA? If yes then have a look at this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379, and even before you try going through this article, just try disabling FBA if it is in use and then try activesync, if it works then follow the above article you should be fine. Please let us know the result.

Cheers
            Jedi001
            Last edited by Sembee; 16th December 2009, 14:27. Reason: Formatting correction.
            Technical Director
            www.tecguruz.com
            Ex-Microsoft (Exchange Client & Server Infrastructure Team), MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS & ITIL Foundation certified

Comment

Working...
            X