Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Up Exchange 2003 on Tape Drive

Hi Everyone,

Can you please let me know what is the procedure to take full back up of my exchange 2003 database onto a tape drive. I have a 350gb tape and the total size of my mdbdata folder in 290gb. priv1.edb and priv1.stm files accumiltae to be 98gb. I have been taking weekly full backups on an external disk using NTBackup. I have never used a tape drive till now and dont know how to make use of it.

Since we purchased a new tape drive and I have been assigned to task of taking a backup on it. It would be appreciated if u can guide me or provide me some links asap.

I would be using NTBacup utility for backups.

Thanks,
    Hussain.

Re: Back Up Exchange 2003 on Tape Drive

provided ntbackup can see your tape drive, the method is pretty much the same, except instead of selecting the removeable disk, you select the tape.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the information. what I want to know is do i need to install any extra software for the tape drive. I am using HP PROLIANT ML 370 G5 machine as my exchange server. Is the entire process same apart from selecting the tape drive or do i need to make any specific change in the settings or install any specific software for writing data onto the tape drive. (for an example we use nero for burning cd's.)

Thanks,
      Hussain

Comment

Provided you use windows 2003, and your tape drive is identified by the system, and ntbackup, you shouldn't need any additional tools or dirvers

however if the system cannot see the tape drive, you may need drivers.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I checked the device manager and it shows HP DAT 72 tape drive under tape drives section. When I looked at NT Backup on the backup destination it shows 4MM DDS. I only need to select this option and start the backup procedure similar to the normal procedure. i would be using a single backup tape of 320gb.

Comment

Working...
          X