Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with iPhone & Exchange 2003

Morning all!

I'm sure this has probably been asked many times before, but any help with this specific problem would be hugely appreciated!

I have 3 users (10+ very soon!) who would like to connect their iPhones to their accounts on Exchange. I have followed a few basic instructions and had some success ... Whilst connected to our wireless network the users can retrieve e-mails, folders, and contacts, as well as send and receive e-mails.

However as soon as I switch off the wireless and connect via 3G Mobile Internet, a message appears stating that the iPhone cannot find the server!

I work in a secondary school, so our firewall is controlled by the Local Authority (Government) ... Do you think this could be firewall related or settings related? Are there any settings I should check that could be causing the error?

By the way, it is possible to retrieve and update a user's calendar over wireless/3G on the iPhone?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Help with iPhone & Exchange 2003

What version are the iPhones? The latest ones all now support ActiveSync natively, so it should be as simple as configuring a Windows Mobile phone to get email on the go, all you need is the OWA address, username and password, and a certificate if you use SSL.

You'll need to check ActiveSync is published through the firewall, and assuming it is and your iPhones are recent then your iPhones will be able to synch email, contacts, folders and calendars over the air.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Anonners View Post
      Morning all!

I'm sure this has probably been asked many times before, but any help with this specific problem would be hugely appreciated!

I have 3 users (10+ very soon!) who would like to connect their iPhones to their accounts on Exchange. I have followed a few basic instructions and had some success ... Whilst connected to our wireless network the users can retrieve e-mails, folders, and contacts, as well as send and receive e-mails.

However as soon as I switch off the wireless and connect via 3G Mobile Internet, a message appears stating that the iPhone cannot find the server!

I work in a secondary school, so our firewall is controlled by the Local Authority (Government) ... Do you think this could be firewall related or settings related? Are there any settings I should check that could be causing the error?

By the way, it is possible to retrieve and update a user's calendar over wireless/3G on the iPhone?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris
      https://store.accessmylan.com/main/diagnostic-tools

Download this handy utility. It will allow you to check your Active Sync connectivity for the iPhone. Ensure the users are using iPhone 2 at least as that comes with Active Sync. The first incarnation did not. Additionally if the users cannot connect via 3G the liklyhood is you will need to contact your LEA or whomever it is that manages the firewall to create a route/rule to point 443 to your Exchange server.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies and help so far!

I believe the phones will be a mixture of 3G and 3GS models ... Is the ActiveSync software already installed on the iPhone or do I need to install it on the users workstation? It's not the same ActiveSync as I have on my Windows Mobile phone, is it?

Cheers!

Comment

Active Sync is already installed on the iPhone. You just need to configure it. And yes its essentially the same as AS on a Windows Mobile. Apple bought the technology from MS so they could include it in the iPhone.

Comment

Is SSL enabled on the iPhone? If yes, then try turning it off and see if that works.
            Do you host your own Exchange Server at the school or is the mail hosted in a central location?
            Do you access the email by OWA, RPC over HTTPS or by a direct connection?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Is SSL enabled on the iPhone? If yes, then try turning it off and see if that works.
              Do you host your own Exchange Server at the school or is the mail hosted in a central location?
              Do you access the email by OWA, RPC over HTTPS or by a direct connection?
              Hi Biggles,

SSL is currently switched off just to make sure all is working as it should! We host our own Exchange server onsite and when offsite we access our mail through OWA ...

Cheers!

Comment

Hi Biggles,

SSL is currently switched off just to make sure all is working as it should! We host our own Exchange server onsite and when offsite we access our mail through OWA ...

Cheers!
                I would say if its all port 80/HTTP traffic for OWA then check whether /Exchange has Form Based Authentication enabled.

Follow this article and you should be able to get this working KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379

Make sure SSL is turned off on all the places like Default Web Site/Exchange/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync & Exchange-OMA - when you create it using the above KB article virtual directories and even on Iphone while setting it up

Regards
                Jedi001
                Technical Director
                www.tecguruz.com
                Ex-Microsoft (Exchange Client & Server Infrastructure Team), MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS & ITIL Foundation certified

Comment

Hi Biggles,

Cheers!
                  Seriously look at setting up and using RPC over HTTPS for offsite email access. Your users will love you for it. Search the site for the "how to" documentation.

As for the iPhone, traffic is in and out on Port 25 unless you are using 443. Make sure Port 25 has been opened by your ISP and the appropriate MX Record has been added. When I used 443 then I found installing the Certificate made things work a bit better. The easiest way I found to install it was to email it to myself as an atachment and then double tap it. You can also install it using the iPhone Configuration Tool.

If it all gets a bit messy, I have found deleting the account and starting clean can sort out an irritating issue.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X