Taking backups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking backups

I have recently joined and organization and came to know that till now they have not taken any backup of their exchange server. We are running exchange 2003 with windows server 2003 r2. I referred microsoft guides about backup using ntbackup. Is it safe to use it. Can any one let me know how to do it. Because i am fresher to exchange and we dont have any exchange admin working with us to guide me.

Re: Taking backups

Yes it is perfectly safe
    Launch ntbackup on the Exchange server and select the information stores. Apart from that its just like regular ntbackup
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Backing up information store. Do i select srs along with that. Moreever will it effect the current logged in users. Are there any specific steps for online backups

Comment

The SRS is only relevant if you have an Exchange 5.5\2003 Exchange organization. If you don't then you don't need to back it up. The users can continue to use email while it's being backed up but there may be a slight performance hit, you're better off scheduling the backup for after hours. You should take a full backup at least weekly so that the backup can flush the transaction logs, otherwise you risk filling up your log drive with log files.

Comment

Thanks for the information. We have only implemented exchange 2003 a couple of months ago. I will surely let you know once i have performed a successful backup.

moreover i wanted to know that since we do not have any test enviornment how do i verify that the backup is complete and successful apart from the backup completed successfully message and checking the logs. I read some where that we can verify it thru the concept of recovery storage groups. can you please put some information on this.

Comment

First two hits here:
            http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=
            (Thank you, )
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Tom fo the information. It was really uselful.

Comment

Working...
              X