exchange 2003 - backup a single user

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange 2003 - backup a single user

Hello all,

if possible??

I need to backup a single user email and then be able to delete the user, so that in the future if i need to access those emails i can,

Re: exchange 2003 - backup a single user

yes that is possible but not with build-in backup software.. You need a third party backup solution like arcserve or backup-exec.

Of course there is always exmerge to "backup" to PST (2Gb Limit IIRC)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

We use exmerge in a batch file and schedule it to backup individual user email into PST everyday.

For some users with more than 2gb email, I used exmerge in 2 batch file, one extract the email into pst but excluded the sent and deleted item and the other just extract the sent and deleted items.

Beware that the exmerge will not purge email in pst. I mean, you created a pst by exmerge today, tomorrow, when you use exmerge again on the same pst file, it will just add all the new email into that pst. Emails that user deleted in their outlook will not be purged in that pst file. Good side: you do not need to export every email everyday by using same old pst. It make the process a lot faster. Bad side, your pst keep growing everyday.

If you don't want to use exmerge for whatever reason, you can just login as the user, open Outlook and use the Export to PST facility.