Iphone and exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iphone and exchange 2003

I was just hired for this company who fired their IT because he couldn’t get their exchange to work on iphones, i set up Exchange before and configure it with blackberry’s but never with iphone is there anything I need to make sure is enabled and configure because am pretty much going blind, any help would be appreciated thanks, the client said some iphones got a certificate error. The other error or errors on other phones he doesn’t recall. I did some research and I heard you have to have imap configured and enabled and the port 143 forwarded to that??? Anything else??? Thanks

Re: Iphone and exchange 2003

Seems a bit drastic!

I have an SBS 2003 and am using iphones (3g) without problems, even without a 3rd party cert -- just put in the external server details. No IMAP, just the installed Exchange client
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i found this article http://www.iphonebuzz.com/how-to-set...one-021058.php it says imap must be enabled on the server. that why i asked ill be starting on it monday so i havent even touched the machine

Comment

Certainly the newest iPhones natively support ActiveSync, whether or not older ones can be upgraded I don't know.

The MD just got a 3GS and seems to spend all day playing with it.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've had my iPhone since 2.2 (3G) and it's worked flawlessly with our Exchange 2003 setup, I would even go as far to say they are easier to setup then Winmo.

Nothing special to look out for, just add an exchange email account to the phone (I assume they already have OWA fully functional).

If they don't have a cert buy one from here: http://www.rapidsslonline.com/rapidssl.php.

IMAP doesn't need to be enabled on the server, it doesn't use it.

Comment

am ganna try monday see how it all works out, ill give you guys the news thanks

Comment

ok well am here with no luck aperantly its sbs 2003 with exchange 2003 sp2 with a self singed certificate wich i installed on the iphone it give the error could not validate certificate!

Comment

active sync is enabled so is owa and oma also its enabled for the users

Comment

Does OMA work from the phone?

I'd honestly get them to pony up for a proper certificate, they are pennies ....

Comment

how do i test oma? owa works fine on iphone browser

Comment

i tested it i went http://server/oma loged in an worked

Comment

You can buy a GoDaddy certificate for $30 for 2 years
                        Easy to install, and it will work seamlessly with SBS
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ok i bought a certificate from go daddy, will this help??? i been reading that people have gotten their iphones to work with self singed certificates. am still wondering whats missing in this set up everything works except the dam iphones

Comment

It should get around any cert issues, so load it up and give it a go.

I'd like to add it's not an iPhone issue as mine worked out the box with a proper cert.

Comment

We use an internal CA in the office and the iPhones and WinMos all work fine. Third party Certs are fine too, we use certificates for other things like EFS and code signing so we just use the internal CA for everything.

BTW OMA has nothing to do with ActiveSync, that is a self perpetuating myth that will not die it seems.
                              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X