No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 stops responding

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 stops responding

This post is concerning an Exchange 2003 server standard Ed. SP2 running on a 2003 R2 sp2 standard ed server.

Only thing changed in our environment is that we now have POP3 running on the Exch server but only 1 address across the VPN allow to connect to the EX SRV via POP3.

Last Sunday the exchange server stopped reponding to client requests Sunday afternoon and happend again yesterday. Reboot the server after this occurs all is fine.

No events in Sys log, App log..etc. to indicate any problems

I have no schtasks
    backup runs every day between 850pm 12am(on the exchange srv) No difference between Daily jobs and Friday jobs.

Exchange maintenance set to run 12-5am

Drivers are updated

No apparent memory leaks

Multiple layer Virus scan- no viruses

I am going to increase the Exchange logs in the evenings and this coming weekend to see if anything shows up that wasnt in the normal logs.

Any ideas what might cause this to occur?

Re: Exchange 2003 stops responding

You have to narrow it down to a particular service which stops responding. Restarting the server to solve the issue will not help you narrow it down.

"Microsoft Exchange Information Store"
    "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant"
    "Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks"
    "Microsoft Exchange POP3"
    "Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine"
    "Microsoft Exchange Management"
    "Simple Mail Transport Protocol"

Try restarting one service at a time to see which is causing the issue.
    Check your Task Manager as well to see what's taking up resources during the non-response of the service.

Re: Exchange 2003 stops responding

+ Check the Application log for event generated when the server goes online.

+ Check if you are getting any error for MSExchangeSA look for one of the Event id 1005 maybe exchange has connectivity issue with DC

+ If exchange is unresponsive check from client end if you are able to ping the exchange server

+ Last but not the least whats the database size as we have Exchange std 2003

+ We have few pointers now to resolve the issue

+ Let me know if you need any help