Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to do to recieve external Emails. URGENT PLS.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to do to recieve external Emails. URGENT PLS.

Hello All,
    I just got assigned a project to deploy exchange server 2003 in a windows server 2003 environment.In other to get things right, i setup a lab on my PC to simulate the scenario I will be working at when i get to the production environment.

My setup goes thus;

1 Server as Domain Controller (windows server 2003 installed)
    1 Server as the exchange server (Exchange server 2003 installed)
    2 Clients workstation (Windows XP and Microsoft Outlook installed)

After reading tons of materials, my setup was successful and connection to outlook to the exchange server was a piece of cake. Now that I am locally setup and ready to fly. I need to get to the next phase which is sending and receiving external emails.

I was able to send mail using DNS but all delivered to spam.

I need some pointers/solutions to the following concerns;

1. What do I need to do/setup so that my mails get delivered to inbox (yahoo, Google and others).
    2. I am still abit confused on what I need to put in place to get mails delivered to my exchange server from outside the network. I have a domain name registered and I have a public IP address.
    I have heard and read of MX records, A record, PTR and other stuffs but still dont have proper understanding of the steps to follow to get this done. Some people told me I will have to call my ISP to do some setup for me on their servers while someone else also told me I could do all the configuration without having to discuss anything with my ISP.

Pls what i need is a coincise solution the the problem at hand. Thanks in advance.

Deepsee

Re: What do I need to do to recieve external Emails. URGENT PLS.

to receive mail at your exchange server, you need an MX record with a weight of 10.
    This MX record should point to the A Record for your public IP address.
    Your public IP address should have port 25 open, and forwarded to your exchange server via a router.

So if your domain is deepsea.com and your mailserver is mail.deepsea.com and your ip address is 203.1.2.3 then your dns setup should be:

deepsee.com A 203.1.2.3
    mail.deepsee.com A 203.1.2.3
    deepsee.com MX mail.deepsee.com

Your router will listen on 203.1.2.3 with a port open on 25. It will forward port 25 from 203.1.2.3 to port 25 on 192.168.1.1 (for instance)

to SEND mail, your best solution would be use your ISP's mail server as a SmartHost. There's an option under connectors (iirc) to set this up.
    I can check for you on Monday if you still need assistance.

Let me know if this is helped at all, or come back with some (specific) questions about where you're having issues.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

@tehcamel
      Thanks for your response. Now I have a better understanding but I need some of your explanations simplified.

"to receive mail at your exchange server, you need an MX record with a weight of 10. This MX record should point to the A Record for your public IP address."

Where do I setup the MX record? Am i supposed to setup the MX record myself at my domain cpanel (deepsea.com) or is my ISP supposed to do the setup for me?

Your public IP address should have port 25 open, and forwarded to your exchange server via a router.

Am i supposed to open the port 25 myself on my router of it has to be from my ISP?

So if your domain is deepsea.com and your mailserver is mail.deepsea.com and your ip address is 203.1.2.3 then your dns setup should be:

I suppose I this configuration should be on my local DNS Server?

I did an nslookup on my domain name and came with this strange result;

primary name server = dns071.a.register.com
      responsible mail addr = root.register.com
      serial = 2009093002
      refresh = 28800 (8 hours)
      retry = 7200 (2 hours)
      expire = 604800 (7 days)
      default TTL = 14400 (4 hours)

Can you pls explain this because when I tried the same command on some other domain I got a recent response;

MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx01.1and1.co.uk

As you would have notice, the big question that I have is I really need to understand what I have to setup on my servers locally, or domain or ISP. I really want to know what I need to tell them if I will have to talk to my ISP or domain host.

thanks
      deepsee

Comment

Your ISP should host and configure the MX record, as their DNS servers will hold the public record of your IP address and DNS name.

You will need to open your own router up for port 25 inbound and outbound for SMTP traffic, but if you are not using a business ISP package make sure they allow SMTP traffic - some home oriented broadband providers do not to prevent SPAM from viruses etc.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

you should be able to add an MX record via cPanel without asking your dns hosting provider. THey would normally be happy to do it for you though as well.

Opening port 25 on your router is your responsibility, and is difficult for me to tell you exactly what or how to do it. (This assumes you are responsible for config on the router, and not your isp)

You will also as cruachan said, need to confirm with your ISP that they do not do inbound filtering.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X