• Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 Migration

Hi All,

1 domain
    w2k env
    PDC/BDC w2k

exchange 2000

I want upgrade from 2000 to 2003 both the OS and the exchange.
    The exchange server 2000 also has Backup exec 9.1.

I want to have exchange 2003 on windows 2003 serevr with Backup exec 9.1. I want OWA --everything that is currently running on exchange 2000 to be running on 2003.

Is it good idea to just do an in place upgrade of this? I feel I dont want too.

I want to install windows 2003 on a new hardware/ install exchange 2003/
    run (forestprep and domainprep) / add the w2k3 server to AD as memeber/ --is there any other step?

Please review:;en-us;555262

I recommanded that you use a new hardware and upgrade the Backupexec to version 10.

Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

thanks for the reply

i reviewed a site calle
      "step by step: migration 2000 to exchange 2003 using new harware"

In it Phase I step 2 and 3
      Says to run the adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep
      Isn't that to make the hardware a DC? I dont want 2003 DC yet. Curently I've 2 PDC and BDC on 2000 AS.

Thank for the assistance

No the forest prep and domain prep will expand the active directory schema to accomodate all the new details that Exchange 2003 needs.

This is usually run on your first DC in the forest, and first DC in your domain respectivley.

If you read the article more carefully you will see it says that:

# Run adprep /forestprep from Windows Server 2003 CD on your Windows 2000 server that holds the Schema master FSMO role. (Of course you’ll need to be a member of Schema Admins). Be sure to replicate the changes throughout the forest before proceeding.

# Run adprep /domainprep from Windows Server 2003 CD on your Windows 2000 server. I ran it on the system holding the PDC Emulator FSMO role.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Thanks for that info.

I was confused see that in upgrading w2k to w2k3dc and also in exchange update.