Creating Distribution lists in exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Distribution lists in exchange 2003

Hi i am testing a stand alone 2003 server with exchange 2003 installed on it. I am just trying to figure out all the things that are essential to our business.

How does a person create distribution lists? In 5.5 at was pretty easy to do so, but i just can;t get it sorted out.

Thanks in advance.

Open Active Directory User and Computers.

Select a container where you want the new group to go

Right click and select new group

Fill in name of the group

then select distribution (remember a security group can be a security group and distribution group but a distribution group can only be a distribution group (This can help cut down on unwanted groups)

Then select the group Scope (Domain local, Global, Universal)

Then click next and select "Create an Exchange email address"

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ahh alright.

One last thing what is the difference between domain local, global or universal?

But yeah thanks i see them now, but you can only see the groups under the groups option when you select To in a new email, is there a way to let them be visible in the global directory?

Comment

Remember that Exchange 2000 & 2003 are interwoven into Active Directory. Nearly anything user related is done in AD now. The system manager is used for message queues, stores, message tracking etc... AD is used for distribution groups, users mail box limits, message limits etc... everything you did for users and groups in exchange 5.5 is now done by AD.

EDIT: You should read up on AD before then reading up on exchange.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Alright, nice to know. Things have changed quite a bit from 5.5 as i have noticed.

One thing though how does one create an "Internet mail service" seems like i need that configured, as i have a few mailboxes created and have tried sending things to each other from the server, but when i open their e-mail boxes there are no messages in there.

Comment

Originally posted by bwebber
            Ahh alright.

One last thing what is the difference between domain local, global or universal?

But yeah thanks i see them now, but you can only see the groups under the groups option when you select To in a new email, is there a way to let them be visible in the global directory?
            http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c3c9f804e.mspx
            Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
            HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
            the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Working...
            X