Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exmerge said it would use 19.8gb but only used 9gb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exmerge said it would use 19.8gb but only used 9gb?

Hi all

As the subject says, i was doing a PST export of a storage group and exmerge said it would use about 19gb of space but the total it did use was 9gb. There were no errors, all 192 mailboxes exported successfully.

Anyi deas as to why that would have happend? Dont know if all the mail is there, dont really want to add all 192 to my outlook profile!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Good one. Hmmm. Strange, however note that there might be size differences due to the single instanse storage, i.e. if an item was sent to many mailboxes it was onlt store once in the store and had many pointers, perhaps that's what caused the size difference.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Maybe it's disk compression

Just a thought, but in addition to single-instance items, you may have exported to a disk that has compression enabled, and even though the files might be 19GB in size, Windows reports them as smaller than that because of the way it does the math. I saw that recently on an export I did as a safety measure before upgrading from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003.

Another thing that might cause the difference is fragmentation within the database. It is possible that if you were to run the eseutils (including a defrag) on a copy of the database someplace safe, the resultant EDB file would also be less than 19GB.

Keep in mind that running the eseutils is NOT something you want to do on purpose to your only good copy of a perfectly normal database. Bad things could happen, so if you try this just to see what happens - make sure you do it elsewhere.

Good luck.
      TTFN
      Rex Derby

Comment

Well it aint due to any compressed volume. Plus i thought that SIS would have made the files bigger if anything not smaller....
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Single Instance

Yes, you are correct. You win a cookie. SIS WOULD make the export files bigger since each PST file would contain a copy of attachments.

I was thinking originally that if the compression had a hard time squeezing an EDB file down to size, that it might have more luck with PST files. If you have no disk compression, then that isn't it.

Still, the defrag from eseutils might take out a lot of wasted space in the database, but again, it has it's risks.

When you do an export of a mailbox and watch it, does it have the same number of items as the number you see in the Exchange System Administrator?
          TTFN
          Rex Derby

Comment

Re: Single Instance

Originally posted by Rex
            When you do an export of a mailbox and watch it, does it have the same number of items as the number you see in the Exchange System Administrator?
            Not too sure. Ill check next time I do it. I think im going with the fragmentation explanation in which case im not too bothered.

Now excuse me whilst i eat my cookie! :P
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
            X