Esesutil problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esesutil problem

I was running an offline defrag of 6 stores on Exchange 2003. I was able to successfully complete 5 stores but ran into a problem on the last one.I ran the follwing command:

eseutil.exe /d E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb /t f:/TEMP/temp.edb

It started as normal but then errored out with a -2204 error. The filenames are as follows:

CLWSEXCM1-SG1-D1.EDB
    CLWSEXCM01-SG1-D1.STM

Does the different file names causing the error? If it does how do I defrag?

Re: Esesutil problem

The problem is with the file names (because the edb and stm files have different filenames). See the example in my last post in your other post but substitute the actual path to your files in my example.

Comment

so i would type this on one line:

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil.exe /d "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm1-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb" /t "f:/TEMP/temp.edb" /s "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm01-sg1-d1.stm" /t "f:/TEMP/tempstm"

Looks easy. Thanks again.

Comment

Glad to help. Post back with your success or failure.

Comment

I just tried it and got this:

Usage Error: Duplicate temporary database specification.

Comment

I can't test this (for obvious reasons) but try it without this: /t "f:/TEMP/tempstm"

So it's just this: C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil.exe /d "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm1-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb" /t "f:/TEMP/temp.edb" /s "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm01-sg1-d1.stm"

Comment

Originally posted by compguy030471 View Post
              so i would type this on one line:

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil.exe /d "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm1-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb" /t "f:/TEMP/temp.edb" /s "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm01-sg1-d1.stm" /t "f:/TEMP/tempstm"
              You can use the /t switch only one time on the command line.
              - use the /t switch to set the temporary database name.
              - use the /f switch to set the temporary streaming file.
              Code:
              eseutil.exe /d "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm1-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb" /t "f:\TEMP\temp.edb" /s "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm01-sg1-d1.stm" /f "f:\TEMP\temp.stm"
              \Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thank you REMS, I will note the command line for the next time we need to run an offline defrag. I was successfully able to defrag 5 out of 6 stores and was able to regain 50GB of white space. The remaining store had about 7 GB of whitespace. Thank you everybody for all your help.

Comment

If you have six stores, then you are on Enterprise edition.
                  If you have the space to do an offline defrag, then why are you wasting your time doing one?

Just create another store, move the mailboxes, then drop the original. Zero risk, zero downtime.

I have never done an offline defrag on Enterprise edition. Don't see the point.

Simon.
                  --
                  Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                  More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                  Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                  In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I agree with you completely, That's how I've done it in the past. Zero risk - zero downtime. But I got over ruled. I will make it a point to management next time that creating new store and moving mailboxes is the way to go.

Comment

The only reason to do offline defrags is if you get paid overtime to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X